Winfield to Oyama - 4 laning Highway 97

Oyama, Winfield, Carr's Landing & Okanagan Centre
Moops

Winfield to Oyama - 4 laning Highway 97

Post by Moops » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:46 pm

The much anticipated 4 laning of the highway between these 2 communities has hit a snag. Apparently, the project will be delayed due to not securing the land necessary to complete the new corridor & environmental approval from the federal government. The new section will be built on the hillside above the current highway.

Check out the animation of the proposal on this provincial link:

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/OkanaganValley/ ... eld-oyama/

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

Clsmum

Re: Winfield to Oyama - 4 laning Highway 97

Post by Clsmum » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:26 am

Oh, I missed that story...
How long will it be delayed by??

That road (the entire stretch to Vernon) is so dangerous. It wouldn't be so bad if everyone drove at a safe speed, but instead you get so many going so fast.

A few weeks back my son who just has his L permit had to go to Vernon, so he wanted to drive himself. His first time doing any highway driving. I was explaining to him that this is not a safe bit of highway and that you need to use a lot of care. I just finished saying that when we encountered fire trucks and about four or five police cars on the road near Winfield. It was before 9 am on a Saturday and I couldn't figure out what they were doing, as I didn't see an accident.

I read later on that a car had indeed gone off the road and down the embankment at 8:15 on a Saturday morning!

pearl70

Re: Winfield to Oyama - 4 laning Highway 97

Post by pearl70 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:03 pm

The contract got awarded so they are saying the construction starts this spring and ends in 2013. :thumbup