uh, whats osyoos like

Home of Canada's only Desert
leadman

uh, whats osyoos like

Post by leadman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:38 am

Posted: 30th May 2006 10:39

or how ever you spell it, some good property there i see, how far isit from kelowna?

mandy got an email of a job agency, financial controller jobs look aswell paid if not better than the uk, dont need ant of them mental canadian qualifications.

the person who contacted her was from hampshire, her name was rebbeca, put her on to this website, we might have another member soon methinks.

anyway, off to see england v hungary, ill pop back later.

Moops

Re: uh, whats osyoos like

Post by Moops » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:38 am

30th May 2006 11:07

Osoyoos is approximately a 2 hour drive from Kelowna. It sits right beside the US border and is known as Canada's desert community. When the Okanagan reaches summer heat, Osoyoos will certainly have the highest temperature for the day!

It's a small community that is a big tourist draw in the summer (as is the rest of the Okanagan valley), especially since the border crossing is right there & access to the Kootenay region. There are a couple of pictures available under the Area Info button for Osoyoos if you want a quick view.

Great news that job offers are coming Mandy's way!!

Thanks for the mention of this site - that's what we need to grow.

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

ferri

Post by ferri » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:39 am

30th July 2006 23:42

i really love Osoyoos in the summer. but then i love the heat. Osoyoos has sagebrush, rattlesnakes and little bitty scorpions. but the last two you have really look for.
they also have Osoyoos Lake, which is probably the warmest lake i have ever been in!

LongInt

Post by LongInt » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:39 am

31st July 2006 00:04

When Moops said that it's known as Canada's desert community, she wasn't speaking with hyperbole. The region is officially a desert - Canada's only desert.

Of course, with Osoyoos Lake right there, it's not like the Sahara or anything.

Bleech

Post by Bleech » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:39 am

1st August 2006 07:39

It's a tourist con if you ask me It is a desert, but a living desert, ie. Just looks like any other part of the Okanagan(joke). I did go there totally unprepared though and was expecting sand dunes, cowboys, Oasis and mirages! There were lots of cactuses err catuss umm cacti? though and it's a fantastic drive from Kelowna.
I noticed that they're selling Osoyoos real estate and acreage in the Orchard Mall the otherday. I didn't get a chance to talk to the girl working there or look around very much though.

Colsgirl

Post by Colsgirl » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:40 am

2nd August 2006 06:25

We've only been once and that was back in March. It was deserted and lots of places were closed. We took the scenic way back to Kelowna and it was stunning.

fluffy

Post by fluffy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:40 am

2nd August 2006 17:33

Year round population is just over 4000, making it a pretty quiet place through the winter months, but it honks in the summertime. Condo construction is booming there like everywhere else and it is likely that population will spike with an influx of retirees.