Move to osoyoos

Home of Canada's only Desert
Halo8

Move to osoyoos

Post by Halo8 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:53 am

Hi! My family and I would really love to move to Osoyoos. And I mean we really really want to. We are not looking for a place to make a ton of money, we just want to make enough to survive and have a quiet place to raise our family.

Are there jobs in Osoyoos? It seems there are a lot of seasonal positions picking fruit and stuff, but what about year round work? And what about the housing market? We would be renting and would hope to have a small house, ideally an acreage (do I sound like every person ever who wanted to move to the okanagan?) our previous employment experience is in sales, marketing, office and residential property management and residential painting. Any call for those types of skills?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks so much, I couldn't believe it when I found this forum, it is exactly what I was hoping for.
Tamara

Caretaker

Re: Move to osoyoos

Post by Caretaker » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. I've been checking the ads for work in Oliver (next town north) and there is the odd job that isn't picking fruit, but not many. Vineyard or orchards seeking year round help, only a couple and they want some experience in equipment and irrigation, the odd position in local infrastructure, (some perm, some seasonal). The box stores are always looking for slaves. Get on your google horse and you'll probably find the same in Osoyoos. The southern hwy 97 is non-stop traffic along a continuous line of fruit stands in the summer and Osoyoos is super busy because it's the junction of hwy 3 and fhe US border is right there, so any business built around traffic makes sense. A retired handyman in our trailer park in Oliver told me there was work out there, and gave me names of a couple of realtors to avoid working for (always handy) but I haven't tested the waters yet. When are you thinking of coming? I may be coming out in a couple of months all tooled up and looking for a job, but I'm considering just bringing basic tools and my painting gear to save room and weight in the van for fishing stuff and canoe. My hopes of finding gainfull employment as a gigilo or international man of mystery may not pan out, but I do have lots of trades experience to fall back on. It gets hot in the summer, be warned! And keep us posted. :thumbup

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:41 pm

I forgot to mention 2 big projects coming up in the Oliver area, a corrections facility and a legal marijuana farm. Truth remains stranger than fiction. Sales and marketing and you paint too? Can't miss!

Halo8

Post by Halo8 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:08 am

Hey thanks for the info! I had heard about the two projects and the MM one interests me :-) is it a government project or a local business, do you know? and you are right about Mr. Google's help finding jobs. I am starting to wonder if Penticton isn't a better starting point for us to be able to find a job.

What about detail shops or metal polishing? Are there any old car clubs or anything that anyone knows of? My husband can polish metal like no one!

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:31 pm

There are a couple of car clubs in the valley but I don't know if any members are in Osoyoos. Sales and marketing jobs may show up anywhere there's big business, and while Penticton is the next real city, there are a few major companies closer to the south. Okanagan Trailers manufactures rv's just outside Oliver and Vincor/Jackson Triggs is the largest winery (to my knowledge) in western Canada. Not sure if their marketing dept is in Oliver or Ontario though as they own operations in BC, Ont, and Chile. You'd be surprised how many labels are really produced by that corp. They may even have corporate offices in Kelowna because some of their labels have a Kelowna address even though they're produced in Oliver. Okanagan Fruit also must have sales and marketing depts, I'm sure there's more to it than the packing houses. Lots of people commute to Penticton but I feel the less unpaid driving time the better. Besides the vinyard jobs some larger wineries operate dining rooms as well though some of those are seasonal. If you found work in Penticton you could commute (I'm guessing 40 or so min from Osoyoos) while seeking a job closer to home. One plus is that while gas is expensive in the Okanagan you'd be able to fill up in Oroville Wa for a bit less. Move out, one of you get a suit job and the other start a painting company and hire me for the warm half of the year and we can do interior/exterior from Penticton south.

Cath

Post by Cath » Wed May 28, 2014 9:08 am

Is there any word on when they'll be hiring for the Correctional Facility? I couldn't find anything online.

SivoxII

Post by SivoxII » Wed May 28, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Cath! :hi

By reading this article, I understand it's due to open in 2016? (If I read it right).
http://www.osoyoostimes.com/competition ... -underway/

All the best.

Cath

Post by Cath » Fri May 30, 2014 6:43 am

Hi SivoxII! :hi
Thanks for the info - very much appreciated.

Moops

Post by Moops » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:40 am

Hi Cath

i don't know if it will be of any use to you, but there will be information sessions held regarding the correctional facility employment.

http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/downloads ... p_4_14.pdf

The BC Corrections Branch, in partnership with the Justice Institute of BC, is offering free
information sessions that will introduce you to the corrections profession and highlight what is
required to work within a BC correctional centre.

ORIENTATION SESSION: (2 hours)
Correctional Work
» Correctional Culture
» Safety and Security
» Team Work and Professionalism

READINESS SESSION: (14 hours total)
Corrections and the Justice System
» Roles and Duties of a CO
» Offender & Special Needs Population
» Getting Ready and Hiring

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!