Visit in June and area info

Heart of the Okanagan Valley
markm

Visit in June and area info

Post by markm » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:41 am

Good morning all,

First a bit of an introduction, we - Rebecca, Mark and daughters 10 & 8 are considering moving from the UK to the area within the next year. CIC are already processing in London so first hurdle over.

Rebecca and I are coming to the area for a very quick visit next week (Thurs 18th to Sun 21st) and we will be using Summerland as a base as it looks like a great place to live.

Can I ask if there are any other people in the area that could give us their views on the schools in the area and (if you came from the UK) your views on the transition - in particular we are used to being in a "community" and the driving everywhere is quite alien to us.

Another question from Rebecca is that whilst I would be working (at the moment) she does not work and tends to meet, and get to know, people at the school, helping with brownies etc. How do stay at home parents tend to meet?

Thanks in advance.

M.

Moops

Re: Visit in June and area info

Post by Moops » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:55 am

I don't know Summerland well, but thought I'd at least give you my perceptions of the town. It's a small community and one that strikes me as being very close knit. You'll find most daily amenities available locally, but if you should need anything further, Penticton is approximately a 15 minute drive south.

If you were to live in the central core, you could probably walk or bike to the shops along Main Street, otherwise, a car would be essential. As you probably already know, many of the towns or cities in the valley are quite spread out rather than built upwards, so for the most part it's not as convenient as you may have found in the UK (England?).

Summerland has had some issues with water treatment and in the summer months have at times experienced water shortages. These problems may have already been addressed, however you may want to make inquiries about it and see how much it impacts the residents.

All the best to you in your research trip and hope you'll enjoy some of the great weather we've been having!

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

Moops

Post by Moops » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:32 pm

I came across this blog from the Association of Citizens for Summerland that may provide some information regarding issues pertaining to the township.

http://summerlanders.blogspot.com/

Here is a recent newspaper link regarding a current water advisory issued by the municipality...

**Admin NOTE: Obsolete newspaper link removed

(Snip)
Summerland’s water quality is good but two homes in the western part of the Prairie Valley area are under an ongoing boil water advisory.

According to the latest municipal figures, the turbidity in the Summerland water system is 0.09 nephelometric turbidity units while in the Garnett Valley water system, the turbidity is at 0.77 NTUs.

A turbidity level of less than one NTU is considered good while readings of one to five are considered fair. Boil water notices are issued whenever the readings exceed five NTUs.

Although the numbers are low, officials with the municipality say the boil advisory is still needed for those living near the water treatment plant.

http://www.summerland.ca/departments/wo ... otice.aspx

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

Nigel123

Post by Nigel123 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi

Summerland is a place that grows on you the more of it you see. When we first saw it i wasn't all that impressed but since living in West Kelowna we have visited quite a few times either for pleasure or for work and there are some lovely rural areas just outside the town and then across the highway there are the beaches and lots of shoreline to enjoy. As Moops said it's a short drive to Penticton which is also nice and has more facilities but if you need a decent mall then Kelowna is the only real option.
Not sure about the schools but i am sure they are good and it has its own secondary school so no need to travel far for the kids even when they get into "big school" The schools are also located right in town so great for lunchtime stroll to the sweet shop/chip shop
We had 2 teenagers when we arrived and thought it may be too quiet for them but it would definitely have been on our shortlist if they were young.

manchesterchick

Post by manchesterchick » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:55 pm

Hi,
i do not know Summerland well as we only just moved to the Kelowna area in May!
I am currently not working but hubby got a job pretty much straight away. I worked in the Uk and intend to work as soon as Kindergarten starts for my active 5 yr old. :wink
We registered my son at school for Sept here, and from what I have come across your wife will have no problem with making friends and doing social stuff at the school.
I was there 2 minutes when another Ex pat gave her phone number to me, and they are always looking for volunteers for stuff, infact they have a list of next years activities at the ready :blush I have to say it isn't really my scene but I will do my bit :wink
The kind of things that were on offer were 1-1 readiing with kids, setting up, serving /cleaning up for charity events, driving for field trips....the list was endless!! I think your wife will be well received once the children are registered, everyone has been very welcoming from my point of view anyway.
God luck with your move and you reccie trip, anything you want to know you can ask...but as a newbie...I probably can't tell you a great deal for now!!
The car is essential though...as is the driving test :thumbdown can't wait for that one :wink

markm

Post by markm » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:47 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone.

We are currently in Summerland staying in a very nice B&B. We visited the middle school today and we were very impressed by the small class numbers and whilst the building lacks character, the school is obviously well funded and run - a pleasant change from the UK!!

The town of summerland is very pleasant and is probably as close to a UK style town centre as we have found, although it is still a culture shock in that everything is new and ordered rather then the higglety piggilty of old UK towns.

Overall very good, definitely toward the top (if not the top) of the consideration list.

Thanks again,

M.