Armstrong vs Lumby

Info & Discussion on all Other Areas
trudik

Armstrong vs Lumby

Post by trudik » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:55 am

Hello, I am planning on relocating to the Vernon area and am particularly interested in a small community. I have been through Armstrong a few times and like the rural feel of it. I have never been to Lumby. We are a young family, two kids in elementary school. We want something quiet with a really good community feel, friendly people. Possibly purchasing an acreage. Can someone give me their opinions on these two towns?

Rigger

Re: Armstrong vs Lumby

Post by Rigger » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:40 pm

both are small rural communities on opposite sides of Vernon but I think Armstrong has more amenities to offer

Moops

Post by Moops » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:02 am

:hi trudik and welcome to the forums!

It's been some time since I was in either community and can only tell you about my impression while visiting.

Lumby has a small village atmosphere and there are now murals painted on the buildings throughout the area. The area is known for it's walking trails and you can experience the "great outdoors" on your doorstep. There is a provincial campground at Mabel Lake that is very popular and there are other lakes to enjoy in fairly close proximity. I don't recall many shops when I last passed through the area, but it has been a while since I was last there and it could have grown quite a bit. I worked with a couple that had a log home there and they absolutely loved living in Lumby. They enjoyed the friendly community spirit of the area and took advantage of the recreational opportunities that were readily available. My impression was that the houses had large lots and I would imagine that acreage or farmland wouldn't be tough to find. You'd have to check that out and not take my word for it though!! The closest town/city with amenities would be Vernon as the other communities surrounding Lumby are quite small as well.

Armstrong is situated close to Vernon as well, with Enderby fairly close by. Armstrong has always struck me as a farming community and their cheese factory is well known. The Armstrong agricultural fair (IPE - Interior Provincial Exhibition & Rodeo) is always a big draw for many people in the Okanagan and beyond. I could be wrong, but I think there are more shops, restaurants, etc available here as opposed to Lumby. The main street in town has an "old town country feel" and it did show signs of wear when we last strolled through. We had lunch in one of the local restaurants and found the local people to be cheerful and talkative. Like Lumby, your ability to "escape" from it all is so easy here!

Sorry I can't provide more information for you, but I'm really not well versed on either town. We have members who have lived or presently live in these areas and I hope they'll stop by with some firsthand comments for you. In any event, if you are looking for land, a relaxed, laid back atmosphere and a small town environment... both Lumby & Armstrong would fit the bill.

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

paula1974

Post by paula1974 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi, we've been living in Armstrong for just over 6 months now and we love it here. The town itself is small, picturesc and has plenty of facilities. There are a variety of shops, restaurants and bars. The sports facilites are excellent - a lovely new arena and they are in the process of building a brand new outdoor swimming pool. It's a quiet town and the people are generally very friendly - there's a real mix, from the "Vernon commuters" to the farm/horsey people. The surrounding area - known as Spallumcheen is mainly farms and small acreages.
The one thing I really love about Armstrong is how accessable you are to everything - just jump on HWY 97 and you can be:
Vernon - 20minutes - for all the major "big city" lol needs
Enderby - 10 minutes - small town, great beach and river
Salmon Arm - 30 minutes-- a smaller alternative to Vernon
Kelowna - 1 hour - for the airport
Silver Star - 45mins - for the skiing
Mara - 20 minutes - beautiful lake and beach
I could go on and on, but my point is, it's a very convenient location :thumbup
My eldest son has just started kindergarten and so far we have found his school to be excellent, from what I hear all of the Armstrong schools have a good reputation. There is a real community spirit, lots of events and participation.
As for Lumby, I have only been there once (for Lumby Days an excellent town fair), it seemed a great little town with a lovely atmosphere. For me, my main concern would accessability - everything is a little too far away!! :think
Please feel free to PM me if you want any specific information about Armstrong.

Life is a highway, not a destination!

trudik

Post by trudik » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:21 am

Thanks for all the info people. Paula1974, apparantly I need to post more before I can read my PMs! I can send to you but can't get the one you sent to me. Sorry