Square footage???

Housing Market, Rental Listings, Stats & Advice
Blondebecky

Square footage???

Post by Blondebecky » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:43 am

Hiya everyone

I have a quick question which i'm hoping one of you can help me with.

When properties are advertised and they state their 'square footage' does that calculation normally include the basement (if it has one) or is that normally extra?

Thanks

Becks xxxx

Moops

Re: Square footage???

Post by Moops » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi Becks

When you're looking through MLS, the square footage shown would be for the entire house. When we purchase here with an agent, their paperwork will show the floors listed separately (Top 1,200 and basement 1,000 for instance) and other pertinent information such as if the sewer is connected with the city or if it has a septic tank, etc. What you have to keep in mind is that if a basement isn't finished (ceiling not enclosed, flooring not done or walls not finished) it won't be included in the square footage. Generally the listing will indicate if the basement is unfinished. Say, for instance, there is a furnace room or cold room (for storing preserves, etc) that doesn't have the ceiling completed, it won't be noted in the total square footage. Essentially, you may have more house than what is listed! Also, garages or decks won't be included either.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!