Rentals agents - moving to Kelowna

Housing Market, Rental Listings, Stats & Advice
Viv

Rentals agents - moving to Kelowna

Post by Viv » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:40 pm

My husband I are moving to Kelowna by end of summer. We would like to rent for a year or two prior to purchasing a home again. Is there a rentals agency service that could assist us to find a great place? We used a similar service years ago in Vancouver and it was so helpful to have a knowledgeable person search out places and show them to us (like a realtor).
Thanks for your help - we are so looking forward to moving to Kelowna!
Vivian

sauspop1

Re: Rentals agents - moving to Kelowna

Post by sauspop1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi Vivian
First I would like to commend you on your choice of location the Okanagan is truly beautiful summer and winter! :thumbup
I think most people rent first, we have for 2 years now but are now in the process of purchasing our first Canadian home. Not only does it allow you to get to know the area before you buy, it also gives you a chance to find out how you want to live here.. When we arrived we thought we wanted to be out in the country with loads of land and to a certain extent we still do but with 2 girls age 12 and 15 always wanting to be somewhere we spend half our lives in the car dropping off and picking up, so bus route and walk ability were more important 2 years down the line.
:think
Most of the rentals are advertised in the local papers, web sites etc. I'm sure there are realtors that will help but 2 years ago when we looked expecting it to be like in the UK we found they were normally less than helpful and basically we phoned with a house, they would take us to look but never follow up or found rentals for you, however that may have changed.
Either you are best to decide on an area before you arrive (very difficult) or as we did look around once you are here and chose a house that feels right! In my experience everyone we know that have relocated here have loved where ever they have ended up and none of us could give a reason why!!! :thumbup

If you are after info on different areas within Kelowna then Tracy (Torrent on here) is your girl. She is a realtor (The nice kind) and very knowledgeable about the different areas and always happy to help.
:wink
Good luck with your search and feel free to ask any question. I asked loads when we were moving some really silly and I know getting the answers made it so much less of a worry. :grin

Summer goes on till late September so you should be able to top up the tan before slipping about on the slopes !
Always happy to help
:bye
Nicol

Viv

Post by Viv » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:05 am

Dear Nicol,
Thank you very much for your lovely reply! :)

We are fortunate to be moving from within BC and have visited Kelowna a number of times. We just fell in love with it!

I actually have found someone (through linkedIn) that can help us find a rental. We have a good idea of the area of the city we prefer (Lower Mission). Our biggest struggle will be to find a place that allows dogs. We have two elderly Cairn Terriers. They don't do much, apart from sleep. Unfortunately landlords don't see things that way.

Now we just have to sell our current home and we are one our way! I'll keep you posted on how things work out and thank you again!

Vivian

Moops

Post by Moops » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:33 am

Hi Vivian & :welcome to A-OK! Good to hear that you found someone that can help with finding a rental. I sent along a message to you suggesting the two agencies that I'd heard mentioned here before.

I'm told that it can be difficult to find a rental property when you have pets. There is hope though .... just a couple of weeks ago, one of the families on the forum secured a house in the Mission area that accepted their dog.

Good luck with your search!

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

Viv

Post by Viv » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks!! Hopefully with good references from our Real estate agent here - about how beautiful our home is and that the dogs are sweet and well behaved, we will find a willing landlord. Fingers crossed!

Cheers
Vivian :beers

sauspop1

Post by sauspop1 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Hi when we looked at the rental we are in it was for No dogs (my dog was in the UK still at the time) but the landlord said he would consider a small well behaved dog which she is, so don't necessarily rule out houses that say No it's worth asking the question you have nothing to lose!
good luck with everything and keep us posted!
:thumbup

Viv

Post by Viv » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:11 am

:hi
We have found a place and will move in Feb 7th! So excited. They had no problem with our two doggies. Finally settled on a condo in the Cultural District. We can walk to everything.

Kelowna - here we come!

Cheers
Viv

Roo

Post by Roo » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:17 pm

Good luck with your move Viv :grin

Moops

Post by Moops » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Sounds like it's all clicking into place for you, Viv! :thumbup

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!