Land in BC?

Housing Market, Rental Listings, Stats & Advice
proto

Land in BC?

Post by proto » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:34 pm

20th December 2006 08:29

I was just wondering whether the process of reconciliation and treaty negotiations has any impact on the security of buying property in BC.

I see from the treaty commission and provincial government websites that some bands in the Okanagan are not currently participating in the six stage treaty process. I don't want to start some argument about a subject I know little about (I accept that history has some salutory lessons to teach us) - just wanted to know if there are any practical impacts or future concerns, especially in areas where there is no formal negotiation going on eg reduced access to the great outdoors, land use restrictions, land ownership restrictions etc.

For reference, I have been looking at

http://www.gov.bc.ca/arr/treaty/regional.html
Last edited by Moops on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broken link removed

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein

Betalil

Re: Land in BC?

Post by Betalil » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:35 pm

24th January 2007 11:21

Hmmm, interesting concept..... The only concern that I would have is access. If you purchase a chunk of land, ya gotta think about how you get to it. If your only access is through native lands then I would think twice, or pay considerably less for the property. From what I understand, in land claims, privately owned property is not "clawed back", most of the treatys involve self-gov, and monies in leue (sp) of actual land.

But don't quote me on this, I just never heard of a person losing their ownership of property that they own, just having trouble access if there is a blockade. And nothing recent that I know of.

proto

Post by proto » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:36 pm

24th January 2007 12:37

Thanks for your input. From this side of the pond it is often difficult to sift out any media hysteria/radical groups/lobbyists on the various websites. From the lack of response, I guess it is just not much of an issue for many people.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein

Moops

Post by Moops » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:36 pm

24th January 2007 12:41

There is a fair amount of First Nations land with housing over on the westside, but there are pockets in & around Kelowna as well. I personally wouldn't want to lease the land my house sits on - even if it is a 99 year lease.

One concern would be the potential road blocks, as Betalil mentioned. At one time, the road up to Apex Ski Resort (outside of Penticton) was blocked by the local Band to protest an issue - I can't recall what it was about though. No matter what the issue might be, I personally wouldn't want to be an inadvertant pawn in any struggle.

I can't comment on the home ownership on First Nations lands, as I don't have any experience. There are a lot of homes built on Westside land.... so I would think that there aren't many major issues to be dealt with.

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

LongInt

Post by LongInt » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:36 pm

25th January 2007 23:20

The Westbank Indian Band (WIB) is much more business-minded and far less volatile than most bands seem to be. Even so, I wouldn't build my house on leased land, either.

A few years ago, a band in the lower mainland raised the rent on their tenant's lots drastically in order to force the home-owners off of the land. It was a very bad situation. While WIB, at present, wouldn't do such a thing one never knows what inconveniences might be invoked in the heat of treaty negotiations.

LongInt

Post by LongInt » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:37 pm

25th January 2007 23:25

Other than locating on band land, I wouldn't expect life in the Regional District to change appreciably and certainly not in the cities.

P.S.
After checking one of the links that you supplies, I see than the Westbank Indian Band now goes by Westbank First Nation. Now that I think about it, they changed their sign a few years ago.