septic tanks

Housing Market, Rental Listings, Stats & Advice
londoncalling

septic tanks

Post by londoncalling » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:43 pm

17th July 2007 05:58

Wondering if anyone's had experience with septic tanks? Quite a few properties we've liked aren't linked with the municipal sewer system. My sister says steer clear but if you really like a house is it worth it? Is it expensive to change it over?

Bleech

Re: septic tanks

Post by Bleech » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:43 pm

17th July 2007 07:03

Hi,
We're still on septic. Apparently we have to join onto the Kettle Valley sewage system one day, but no talk of it yet. As far as I can see it's really no different to being on sewage, only difference is that you have to get it cleaned out once every 2 or 3 years and it takes up part of your garden so you cant put a pool in where it lives.

mkmurrays

Post by mkmurrays » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:43 pm

17th July 2007 07:41

We looked into septic tanks (!) when we were buying. Didn't put us off, as Bleech says, just got to maintain them properly, I think. Plus sewers are being installed gradually around Kelowna. We looked at a property on Chute Lake Crescent and there was the option there to have mains sewer put in by one of the local developers - cost about $23k so not cheap - but would mean you were on municipal sewer about five years earlier than if you waited for the city to offer it.

Wouldn't put me off buying a property.

kobo

Post by kobo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:44 pm

17th July 2007 08:50

They are quite common in Norfolk where we live and we have never had a problem.
You just can't flush sanitary products down the loo! That's the sort of thing that causes problems.

Nigel123

Post by Nigel123 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:44 pm

17th July 2007 09:08

The septic tanks certainly seem different to the UK ones. My parents had one in their last house and it was awful, it seemed to fill up and overflow so quickly and they swore they would never have another.

However it seems that these Canadian ones are huge and very common in rural areas, i too would not have been put off a house with septic but would want it checked. As far as i know if you do pay to connect to the sewer you can add it to your taxes rather than paying in full so it's a bit like a loan.

Not sure about putting a pool in once you removed the septic though?????

Betalil

Post by Betalil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:45 pm

17th July 2007 21:34

Switching from septic to sewer really depends on whether it's available in the area that you are considering. Most rural areas, and some areas within the city are still on septic.

As for any sewer system (septic (enclosed) or city (piped away)) you should not flush such things as sanitary products or harsh chemicals, for septic systems use only biodegradable toilet papers, biodegradable soaps/cleaners and flush a septic yeast once per month (it's really an enclosed composting system, with a drainage field), also have the tank pumped every 3-5 yrs depending on the size of your family. Take care of the system and you should never have a problem.

When considering a purchase of a property with septic, have the tank pumped as a condition of purchase (at the sellers cost), the septic person will say whether there are any problems with the system, and can recommend how to fix them.

londoncalling

Post by londoncalling » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:45 pm

18th July 2007 14:36

Thanks everyone, basically you CAN live with a septic tank then!

Colsgirl

Post by Colsgirl » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:45 pm

19th July 2007 20:37

Yep you can, we have one too!

LongInt

Post by LongInt » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:46 pm

22nd July 2007 00:58

Yes, having a septic tank isn't a problem unless the terrain is such that the sewage surfaces downhill from the leaching field. There was a problem with that in one of the small valleys in the Black Mountain subdivision, several years ago. It was corrected by extending the sewer system to the area.

I used to have a septic tank (actually, I still do but it's underground and filled with sand) but hooked up to the city sewer system when it became available on my road. When the city sewer system is put into an area, hookup is mandatory and, yes, expensive. All areas within the city will eventually get sewer hookup so if a property is already on city sewer, that is one less future expense.

As for cost of maintaining a septic tank, it's minimal. A properly working tank very rarely needs to be pumped (contrary to what most people will tell you, especially sewage pumping companies). They are designed for the contents to decompose and then leach out through the septic field (a system of perforated pipes, underground). A piece of raw liver down a toilet once a year usually keeps the microbial action going.

mkmurrays

Post by mkmurrays » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:46 pm

22nd July 2007 10:15

On the subject of closed off septic tanks, we have one in our garden....now the medium/long term (depending on whether you talk to me or the OH) plan is to have a pool in the garden........how big are septic tanks? How far does the septic field stretch? Will city hall have a diagram of our plot showing where the old septic tank was?

Planning ahead, but - and you can call me fussy - I wouldn't want a combined septic tank/pool...........? :pool :eek