How easy to get any job in Kelowna ?

Centres, Agencies, Contacts and Experiences
kevinmm

How easy to get any job in Kelowna ?

Post by kevinmm » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi, I just wondered if anyone could help / know, how easy is it to find any job.
ie If I was looking for any job to earn any wage would it be easy ?
Thanks

kirstya

Re: How easy to get any job in Kelowna?

Post by kirstya » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:47 pm

5 months

feels like i have applied for 1000's

had only 3 interviews
and no job

Lucky if they ever even reply... The silence was confusing at first now relise its the norm.

First month or so was quite fussy with what i applied for now my standards are getting lower and lower....
But am only applying for basic part time work and havent gone as low as a mcjob yet...

Hopeing now for a summer fruit picking job but only part time...
But then maybe not trying as hard as i might as i dont NEED a job its more of something to do and bring a little more pocket money in ... Also my CV isnt the best in the world (havent worked for 4years due to illness) and a trained nurse before that.

Bleech

Post by Bleech » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:21 pm

kevinmm wrote:Hi, I just wondered if anyone could help / know, how easy is it to find any job.
ie If I was looking for any job to earn any wage would it be easy ?
Thanks
Hi Kevinmm,
Another Brizol lad! I grew up near Almondsbury in a village called Tockington, then moved out here in after living in Portishead, anyway......
I've never really looked for a job since I've been here as I'm in a lucky situation (bought my UK job with me), but I've now managed to find myself working 3 jobs - don't ask! From my point of view it's very much a case of 'who you know' and friends/neighbors/acquaintances are often asking if I'm interested or know of anyone who's interested in a position. It's pretty unfair, but just seems to be how it works over here. Like I say, this is just my experiences, other people may disagree, but from what I've heard there are jobs out there, it's just a case of being in the right place at the right time.
I can't say I know many 9-5ers, mainly self employed or people that do lots of different things. Mr Bleech has managed to get herself employed as a tile setter. She just applied for a job with little experience and has now found herself working with one of the top guys in town with work for the next 12 months, she choses her own hours and loves her work.
What sort of thing do you do?

kevinmm

Post by kevinmm » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:48 am

Hi,
I believe ive spoke to you before on the britishexpats forum.
Im after any job going, i work in IT but dont really want to do that and I use IT very loosely really (im a computer operations shift manager)
My wife is in financial services so ideally a job for her and me picking up doing anything.
Ideally I would like to run a small shop and I think I know of just the place but not sure how id go about that.

I must admit hearing its hard to find work is a bit of a worry, we are going to NS to see whats that like (mainly because of time diff and price of property) I loved Kelowna when we visited and thought this is theplace for me.

Moops

Post by Moops » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:44 am

A year ago, it probably would have been a breeze as employers were screaming for staff and couldn't find them! Due to today's economic climate, I don't think there is anywhere in Canada (or the world), where you can expect to easily find a job. The Okanagan is known to be an area where networking is valuable and many of the available jobs are simply not advertised. The last job I had, I dropped off a resume and was called not long afterwards for a temporary position that ended up securing me full time employment for 13 years!

There is a thread in the Employment section here that has many links to job search websites that you might find helpful :)

http://www.okanaganforum.com/forum/view ... f=35&t=810

There is also a thread geared towards financial services companies in the area.

http://www.okanaganforum.com/forum/view ... =35&t=1221

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

kevinmm

Post by kevinmm » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:03 pm

Thanks very much for your reply, I have seen a few jobs advertised for jobs but can never really see salaries.
I will check out your links, cheers

Nigel123

Post by Nigel123 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:48 pm

Definitely agree with Bleech that it's who you know and not what you know, well generally speaking anyway. It does seem difficult to find that "suitable" job and when employers don't return calls it gets frustrating. For me it wasn't too long before i found work but it took a couple of knock backs and some frustrating chasing up to get on the employment ladder, in fact when i turned up at the coffee shop to meet with the guy who was hring and he wasn't there it turned out he had forgotten we had an appointment. When he did turn up he seemed impressed that i had remembered???
That is all water under the bridge now but my eldest son went through it and now my younger one is looking for work and finding similar frustrations. The standard comment is "you seem like a nice guy who is genuine and the CV looks great, we will be needing someone in next 2 weeks so we'll call you" 2 weeks later he calls round as he's heard nothing and finds they have someone else!!! No call, no interview.
Also i am amazed at the often poor quality of workmanship or the "can't be arsed" attitude of some. We have just done a job at a new build house in Lower Mission, this place was 10,000 sq ft and must have cost zillions. Well the twin furnace heating system was $110,000 because the builder told me after i asked (sarcastically)if he got it cheap. The installers had put in totaly the wrong size of filter in both systems and one was almost jammed in the fan where it had been sucked in. The builder admitted they would not be using them again. Jeez for $110,000 i would get them back to put it 100% right. This is just one of many things we see on a daily basis and often in expensive homes too!!!

swoops

Post by swoops » Tue May 05, 2009 5:20 am

It seems not just..who you know..but does your face fit... :think

kirstya

Post by kirstya » Wed May 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Nigel123 wrote: Also i am amazed at the often poor quality of workmanship or the "can't be arsed" attitude of some.

My oh comes home shouting about something similar .. He cant do a certain type of work here due to not having a local qualification in it, but he sees locals doing it soooo badly and slowly and wrong !! yet these are the ones that are just meant to of spent 6months in college learning how to do it ... He saw 3 people spend a week doing something he could of done in less than a day on his own. :unhappy :unhappy

Nigel123

Post by Nigel123 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:37 pm

kirstya wrote:
Nigel123 wrote: Also i am amazed at the often poor quality of workmanship or the "can't be arsed" attitude of some.

My oh comes home shouting about something similar .. He cant do a certain type of work here due to not having a local qualification in it, but he sees locals doing it soooo badly and slowly and wrong !! yet these are the ones that are just meant to of spent 6months in college learning how to do it ... He saw 3 people spend a week doing something he could of done in less than a day on his own. :unhappy :unhappy
Yep, i suppose it would be worse if he was a brain surgeon. (or is he?) LOL