anyone in construction out there (bricks!)

Centres, Agencies, Contacts and Experiences
manchesterchick

anyone in construction out there (bricks!)

Post by manchesterchick » Sun May 17, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi anyone in constuction out there.?
OH is a trained bricklayer, wondered if there is any call for this in the OK, we are in Kelowna at the moment, we have scanned the classifieds to no avail. He is also god at renovating houses and doing extension, plastering, drylining, concreting.
Can anyone point us in the right direction :wink
cheers :grin

Nigel123

Re: anyone in construction out there (bricks!)

Post by Nigel123 » Sun May 17, 2009 8:48 pm

manchesterchick wrote:Hi anyone in constuction out there.?
OH is a trained bricklayer, wondered if there is any call for this in the OK, we are in Kelowna at the moment, we have scanned the classifieds to no avail. He is also god at renovating houses and doing extension, plastering, drylining, concreting.
Can anyone point us in the right direction :wink
cheers :grin
Hi there

Not a good time at present for anything in the construction industry. Things really have slowed right down. There seems to be a fair bit of renovations going on as people decide to upgrade rather than move but bricklaying is not a big thing here as you may have guessed with all these timber framed homes. Drylining is definitely the best bet for work but don't know where is best to start as it is pretty quiet at present.

Good luck

manchesterchick

Post by manchesterchick » Mon May 18, 2009 9:39 am

Thanks for that.
Perhaps he needs a career change anyway :grin

kirstya

Post by kirstya » Wed May 20, 2009 8:52 pm

my other halfs in drywall

there is alot of work in construction here ... alot more than anywhere else , which is creating problems as all these bigger contractors from out of town have moved in and undercut alot of the local firms.. Is a good thing if your looking for work tho as all these new firms are recuiting at the moment.. Not so good for us as other half is tied to his employer with our TWP. But fingers crossed we will get enough

Nigel123

Post by Nigel123 » Fri May 22, 2009 9:46 pm

kirstya wrote:my other halfs in drywall

there is alot of work in construction here ... alot more than anywhere else , which is creating problems as all these bigger contractors from out of town have moved in and undercut alot of the local firms.. Is a good thing if your looking for work tho as all these new firms are recuiting at the moment.. Not so good for us as other half is tied to his employer with our TWP. But fingers crossed we will get enough
Is this for commercial building projects? I only ask as according to stats for the first few months of the year hardly any new builds have been happening at all.

kirstya

Post by kirstya » Sat May 23, 2009 9:21 am

in housing i think it was 7 new starts for March same time last year was 270 ..

So yep its all in commercial . Just look at UBC there ALOT being built there, sadly my OHs company has just been undercut on a very large residence building there :sad :sad :sad
Not quite sure where alof of this other work is but in one month his company bid on $7million of work (and just in Drywall)
they got not one bit of it.

Nigel123

Post by Nigel123 » Sat May 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Seems to be very common that you often quote for many jobs and get a very limited response. We also got callled up to the UBCO to quote for a job where they are renovating an old dorm block and need the ductwork cleaning, it's a big job and i put in a price but have heard nothing back. I actually rang round several commercial places i had quoted as far back as October and all who responded had decided to leave the work till a later date.
I bumped into a site manager today who said he hopefully has a house for us to do soon. This company were giving us work almost every week last year, we haven't done anything for them since Christmas!