Looking for work in or around Kelowna

Centres, Agencies, Contacts and Experiences
LindaandNeil

Looking for work in or around Kelowna

Post by LindaandNeil » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:05 am

Hi Everyone

We are Linda & Neil. We've obtained our permanent resident visas and can now live and work in Canada forever. Long process to get to this point but we did it!

We've purchased our house in Westbank and now we "just" need jobs so that we can leave the UK and move to Kelowna. Currently living in UK.

Job History:
Me: worked as IT Trainer, Co-ordinator, Administrator, tutor and careers guidance advisor. In the public sector eg local authorities, hospitals, councils. Private sector: investment and actuarial, training companies, legal firms etc. Looking for anything similar. Also a qualified Homeopath. Excellent employment record.

Neil: works for AXA PPP Healthcare investigating suspicious medical claims for 13 years. Job titles: Claims analyst/medical assessor. Looking for similar or work in insurance. He will contact AXA in Kelowna but they are a very small office so he might have to wait.

Actively checking out all the recruitment and employment sites. Interior Health looks like a good option for me.

Very keen to talk to anyone and everyone for advice and guidance.

Thanks for reading,
Linda

Nigel123

Re: Looking for work in or around Kelowna

Post by Nigel123 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi

Cannot give you any advice on either of your career areas but as you may nave heard before it really is all about who you know. It is therefore very important to get networking straight away but it will be difficult until you are actually here and can meet people and get a foot in the door.
It is not easy getting a decent well paid job when you are here and available in an instant it is therefore even more difficult to get a decent job whilst still in the UK.

Good luck with your quest.

LindaandNeil

Post by LindaandNeil » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:43 am

Thanks Nigel.
You are completely right of course, we'll most likely have to bite the bullet and move out there in order to secure real work. This "who you know" thing is absolutely vital. It took my friend who emigrated to Kelowna in 2006 three years of lowpaid jobs and networking before he got a really great job with fantastic pay.

We thought we'd have a huge house party when we get there and invite everyone in our street - if we can get someone a little bit tipsy maybe they'll give us a job!hehe :beers . Until then, we keep on saving!

Linda

Nigel123

Post by Nigel123 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:03 pm

LindaandNeil wrote:Thanks Nigel.
You are completely right of course, we'll most likely have to bite the bullet and move out there in order to secure real work. This "who you know" thing is absolutely vital. It took my friend who emigrated to Kelowna in 2006 three years of lowpaid jobs and networking before he got a really great job with fantastic pay.

We thought we'd have a huge house party when we get there and invite everyone in our street - if we can get someone a little bit tipsy maybe they'll give us a job!hehe :beers . Until then, we keep on saving!

Linda
Sounds good, hope you don't live along Hwy 97 its a long street so you better have a very BIG house. Lol

gibee44

Post by gibee44 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:55 am

Neil:

Try contacting Worksafe B.C. which is the Government run agency that administers safety, insurance and claims for work place injuries in the Province. Check out http://www.worksafebc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.

manchesterchick

Post by manchesterchick » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:02 pm

we did the opposite to you guys, we got the pr, the market slumped in the uk and we came over with no jobs or house :think
Bite the bullet and just do it.
Hubby has work now, and I will get something when my little one goes to school in sept hopefully.
We just thought that we would "suck it and see", if it doesn't work out we will not be left wondering what would it have been like. :wink
I took a career break from work in the uk for three years, just case it falls flat, and hubby was self employed anyway.
It is scary, but I think it's worth it. So far so good up to now anyway.

:grin
I did not want to wake up at 80 years old thinking if only :grin
Good luck to you!! :beers

Moops

Post by Moops » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:46 am

Neil:

Gibee's suggestion of WorksafeBC (formerly known as the Worker's Compensation Board) would be a good place to put in an application - good wages & benefits.

Another would be ICBC's Rehabilitation department, especially considering your background dealing with medical issues. There is a possibility that you could also apply for a Bodily Injury Adjuster in Claims. These adjusters mainly deal with the injury and legal aspects as opposed to the liabilities of an accident.

http://www.icbc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

simontipples

Post by simontipples » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:50 am

Hi All,

My wife and I are starting the process of looking at OK and Kelowna for a new life with our two daughters. :canflag

With regards to work around Kelown, to find employment would it be better to contact job agencies or contact employers direct?

My wife has been a Manager In Financial Services for 10 years, whilst I was a Supervisor For Stone Masons as well as a Manager for a Window Manafacturing company and currently in Financial services.

Are these jobs/positions that would be available in Kelowna?

Any help would be realy appreciated. :thumbup

Cheers
Simon