Introduction & advice needed!

Centres, Agencies, Contacts and Experiences
susan rhodes

Introduction & advice needed!

Post by susan rhodes » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:54 pm

11th February 2007 10:27

Hello,

We are from Southport in the UK and we are looking at moving to Canada to live and work. We are a family of 6 - me, my husband and 4 boys aged 12,10,9 and 7.

We are coming for a visit in June'07 to hopefully find work for my husband who is a plumber/gas fitter. We are going to fly to Vancouver and make our way to Okanagan Valley.

Does anybody know of an agency that we could use to set up interviews for the weeks that we are there.

:confused :confused :confused

Thanks
Sue

admin

Re: Introduction & advice needed!

Post by admin » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:55 pm

11th February 2007 11:20

Rich_007 -

These guys do some trades placements. AFAIK Most trades leads come from the local classifieds:

http://www.platinumpersonnel.ca/about_us.html

You can find a list of construction companies here, searchable by sector:

http://www.bccassn.com/directory/index.html

If I were in your shoes I would take the initiative, Google all the local companies, and get in touch, by phone, directly. Do not trust or rely on the (in)competence of a third party to cater to your needs. Have your resume (not CV) Canadianized and in Letter sized format (not A4). You should, through your perseverance, be able to line up as many interviews as you can handle in the time available.

Assuming you're familair with things like Red Seal, challange exams, etc, you should be able to 'talk their lingo'. Better also to know the going rates, benefit packages available etc for the Canadian market.

Are you in need of a work permit, or will you be coming as PR able to work immediately ? There is also the PNP scheme which has recently been publicized in the Okanagan. A prospective employer will need to know your situation up front.

Hope this all helps.

R.

Access Okanagan Web Services
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=3015

SivoxII

Post by SivoxII » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:55 pm

12th February 2007 02:01

Super info Rich! :thumbup

susan rhodes

Post by susan rhodes » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:56 pm

12th February 2007 08:06

Thanks for your replies, keeping me busy!!!
Susan

Crowphonic

Post by Crowphonic » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:57 pm

25th March 2007 13:27

Hi there - we went to the emigrate show at Sandown recently and met Robert Fine who is the Director of Economic Development for the Regional District of Central Okanagan. You can contact him direct on rfine@investkelowna.com for advice or pointers or check out their website which is quite useful at www.investkelowna.com. We are hoping to actually be moving out to Kelowna in June so we may see you on the plane!

:)