electrician

Centres, Agencies, Contacts and Experiences
LongInt

Re: electrician

Post by LongInt » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:52 pm

29th May 2008 23:17
In SA the shaver socket has got a double insulated transformer inside and it is also connected to the Earth Leakage unit in your circuit board.
In Canada, for the past few decades, all of the bathroom and outdoor outlets are either on GFI circuits or have GFI boxes on the individual outlets. However, older houses with the shaver plugs such as Siv described won't have it on a GFI circuit unless it's been added since construction.

tracie107

Post by tracie107 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:53 pm

30th May 2008 20:38

Einselec,

Hurry up and come over as I have 6 lamps and a room that needs re-wiring! Oh and light fittings that need to be installed! Hubby don't know that I am changing all the lights so I will just leave you the key and you can do it when he is at work!
:lol

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:54 pm

31st May 2008 07:03

Hundreds of jobs in BC Hydro, I have 5 of my electrician crew coming up for retirement in the next couple of years and I have been given 1 vacancy to start training someone. Some in every department over but can someone make a decision at the top (think not) :doh: Time to think about buying the gas generator (just like they should in the UK after this weeks power cuts) - lots of work for those of us that are left!!!!
:beers

Bleech

Post by Bleech » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:55 pm

31st May 2008 08:13

Interesting stuff Sparky. I hear a lot about the baby boomers and how most of the work force (certainly in Kelowna) are old and on their way out. Is this the start of it?

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:55 pm

1st June 2008 10:30

Yep a lot of the people retiring are the baby boomers and it is happening now. There are 5 other managers in my group and all will be retired by the end of this year - I wioll then be one of the most senior managers.....!!! Just about every department has the same issue but the blame for failing to train and refresh must lie with them. They have been very protectionist regarding who they hire, if at all but the silver lining is they will all be gone within about 4 years. The next generation is much more receptive to change and new ideas so I see a great future ahead for those who join the company. There is a major BC Hydro HQ at Vernon and also the backup control centre to the LM so electricians should explore the possibilty of employment with them. The electricians salary and benefits are excellent as would be expected as a major employer in BC. Hydro are also hiring engineers to be based at Vernon as an incentive. If anyone in the OK is looking for work with Hydro check out the vacancies on line. If they see a job that they would like to apply for and have the appropriate skills let me know and I will set them up on the employee refferal scheme.
:)

einselec

Post by einselec » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:56 pm

3rd June 2008 13:41

Hi Sparky

I might run into some trouble regarding my job offer because my PR is taking longer than the compamy antisipated. I am a little worried at the prospect of arriving in Kelowna and finding myself without a job.

If this happens, I sure hope I can find a job to support my family. Luckily I have some experiance in almost all the trades and can do a little bit of everything. From fitting and turning, plumbing, welding, boilermaker, carpentry, building, general handyman to electrcian. I am a jack of all trades but only master of one and that is as an electrician. (Only trade that I have papers for!)

Hope there will be work for someone like me that can do almost anything with their hands. I am willing to do any work as long as I can provide my wife and son with a place to stay and food to eat.

Maybe I must take a look at the BC Hydro jobs that you are talking about. Just in case I have'nt got a job on my arrival!

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:56 pm

3rd June 2008 15:41

I don't think you will have any problems with employment in the current market conditions. The important thing is to get A job. There a strange lot these Canadians tons of vacancies but trying to get someone hired in a nightmare to get someone to make a decision well!!!! I think many still do not understand the crisis we face with skill shortages. I read in the paper today they are facing a skills crisis - but you wouldn't think it.

Moops

Post by Moops » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:56 pm

4th June 2008 15:05

Port.... where'd ya go to?! Cheers to everyone for offering up some information... and possible contacts

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

guitsax

Post by guitsax » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:16 am

Hi Sparky, I realise the above post is over a year and half old -- I was wondering if the employment situation has changed at all and if the offer of employee referal still applies. ( BC Hydro)
I am an electrician with many years experience in all areas of the trade in South Africa and the last 8 years at a CCGT power station as maintenance electrician/ supervisor.
We are in the second phase of our PR application ( still in the UK )and expecting PR status by August 2010 hopefully -- at which point I will either come on my own and seek employment and accomodation and then send for the family , or if I have an offer we can come as one.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Andrew

horry

Post by horry » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:48 pm

besides bc hydro the other electricity provider here is fortis. Do you work in building trades too? good luck :)