recognising overseas skills?

Centres, Agencies, Contacts and Experiences
Jason_B

recognising overseas skills?

Post by Jason_B » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:57 pm

20th June 2008 14:31

Ive heard a lot of people say that certain types of skills aren't recognised in Canada, is this true or just a lot of negative press?

einselec

Re: recognising overseas skills?

Post by einselec » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:57 pm

21st June 2008 03:06

It is true. I will have to work as an apprentice electrician in Canada even though I have been in the trade for 12 years and have owned my own electrical contracting company for the past 10 years.

Thusfar the only occupation that I know of that are recognized is Sivil engineering qualifications because these people belong to an international body for these prfessions.

LongInt

Post by LongInt » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:58 pm

21st June 2008 09:39

As einselec said, it is true.

While it can be frustrating for some, there are good reasons for it. Not all countries have the same standard of practice. Even those whose over-all quality of practice is on par often have different standards required. I'm not particularily interested in trusting my medical treatment to someone who, although personally honourable, uses techniques not approved in Canada or is unaware of treatments recommended here.

It is a subject that comes up frequently in public discussion (the media) and perhaps there are some changes that can be made to streamline recognition rather than forcing everyone to start over.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

proto

Post by proto » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:58 pm

21st June 2008 17:14

Sadly it is also true that standards are not even the same between the provinces. Not sure about trades but I know there is a vast difference between some of the regulated professions, even to the extent of whether or not they are regulated. You can look on http://workdestinations.org/home.jsp?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more information.
Last edited by Moops on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Link was broken - re-established

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein

Jason_B

Post by Jason_B » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:44 pm

hi and thanks for replies,

so it sounds like back to novice levels in similar jobs over there, guess that would be the same which ever way you go? although doesn't make it any easier really.

is it mainly different terms, or everything thats different with skills and approach to similar jobs you would have come from in the UK?

Jason