Kamloops ??? any good for young family ??

Canada's Tournament Capital
Nigel123

Re: Kamloops ??? any good for young family ??

Post by Nigel123 » Sat May 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Not sure how relevant it is now as this thread has probably run it's course but we returned from Vancouver across the connector on Monday evening. This was May 3rd so no longer any regulations about needing winter tires or chains. Ha
We drove through the worst snowstorm I've ever been in. I couldn't see the road for several kilometers and it was quite worrying at times. The idiot coming up behind me nearly lost it and finally realized why i wasn't doing 100km/hr.
We finally had to stop to help a young lad who had put his car in a ditch. He was fine and by his account of the incident it rolled and landed upright again. Anyway as we jumped out of the truck we nearly fell over it was so slippery yet it hadn't seemed that bad when driving. He sat with us in the warm while the tow truck was called and we felt it was our good deed as the same thing had happened to us in 2007 and we were helped by passers by.

Just goes to show that you can never be sure of the weather on the connector. The signs back in Hope were showing route 97c as bare. Clearly it changed.

Clsmum

Post by Clsmum » Sat May 08, 2010 9:16 pm

Surprising to hear how bad it was last week, but so very true of the mountains....you just never know what it might be.

Mother Nature sure has let us know who is the boss lately. Wow, it has been so cold!

When I drove home from Vancouver in December, the sign near Hope said that the Connector had zero visibility. I was so worried, but when we got there it was perfectly clear. I don't need that kind of worry, which is why I don't drive to Vancouver unless I have to.

5 fields

Post by 5 fields » Tue May 11, 2010 12:59 am

Hi everyone the Fields have landed back in the u.k after 8 Days in B.C - 7 of them in Kelowna area. We travelled over the connector road on Mon 3rd May and went through a snow blizzard with approx 1ft of snow on the side of the road it was totally crazy to us that one minute it was pretty sunny and dry and then we felt like we were in a winter wonderland!! My Hubby drove carefully and we were fine and actually glad we experienced it as it made us realise just how quick the weather can change hight up on those roads. We had a fantastic time In Kelowna we did't go to Kamloops as we loved Kelowna so much and felt that it has everything we needed and after driving around Vancouver in that traffic we enjoyed it even more!! We loved Lakeshore, Mission, Kettle valley, East Kelowna, and Glenmore. My husband has to change his plumbing and heating qualifications over to the Red seal ticket then hopefully he can start applying for jobs and we can go for the Visa. Although we were only there 1 week we were out driving by 8am and not back in the hotel till 9.30pm most nights so we did see a lot i feel like we have been away for weeeks - very tired now could do with a holiday to recover !! And i honestly believe that we won't know if we can settle untill we are in work and kids are in school and we have a routine in Kelowna. After all even if we had 6 weeks there your still on holiday and not working. So were gonna go for it and just hope it all works out if not we can always return to the U.K where i'm sure everything and everyone will still be doing the same thing - kind of comforting if it all doesn't work out. But we would rather give it a try than have regrets later on.

A big thankyou to everyone for all your info really appreciated - I'm sure i will have plenty more questions for you all!!

Maria

4d32ftw

Post by 4d32ftw » Tue May 11, 2010 5:50 am

glad you had an awesome time.

Clsmum

Post by Clsmum » Tue May 11, 2010 8:19 am

Maria,
I'm glad that you had a good time. AND you got to experience the Coq/Connector weather--aack! That is enough to scare many off living here!

I was thinking about you all last week, the weather was so dreadful, I couldn't believe it. Of course now it is back to great, warm, sunny weather. It is getting hotter as the week goes on and I will now put all my plants in the ground.

We used a plumber/gas fitter when we moved in here. We had brought a natural gas dryer and BBQ with us and needed the hook-ups installed, along with the dishwasher installation. He was a very nice young man. That is all I know about that occupation! Hope the job search goes well.

Best of luck.

5 fields

Post by 5 fields » Tue May 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Iknow weather could have been bit better but apparently it was freezing back home so it made us feel better. Can i be really cheeky and ask if you can remember roughly what you payed for the plumbing/gas connections?? Just to get an idea
thanks
Maria

Clsmum

Post by Clsmum » Tue May 11, 2010 3:57 pm

We always keep our old bills, so it was easy to find.

This was back in June 2002: one hour labour to "install owners dishwasher" $50.
Install Gas for Dryer and BBQ: Gasfit Dryer $217.15; Gasfit BBQ $209.45

We called the same guy for a straight plumbing job in 2006, running water to our new refrigerator, labour was $60 for that and another $25 to repair the kitchen faucet at the same time. (no time break-down on the bill)

Again in 2007 I called him for a minor plumbing problem that could be repaired by him in a few minutes. That cost $55. which was the standard call-out fee.

I thought that his services were very well priced, but maybe everyone in town was the same? When I tried to call him again in 2008, he was no longer at the same number and I think he left town :( I like having someone I trust for these kinds of jobs!

5 fields

Post by 5 fields » Thu May 13, 2010 12:07 am

Great thanks for that. Just good to compare my huby has worked for himself for 10 years so its good to know.
Maria