Kamloops ??? any good for young family ??

Canada's Tournament Capital
5 fields

Re: Kamloops ??? any good for young family ??

Post by 5 fields » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:31 am

Good for you, sounds like you can't wait to get there. We are going out beginning of may for 1 week only - booked the flights then tryed to change them for 2 weeks and couldn't - gutted!! So we have got a lot to see and do in 1 week and we have 3 litle ones 8,5 and 2 so its gonna be busy!! We have initally been looking at Kelowna and then come across Kamloops on the net and liked the look of it. Were just not sure if we want to be closer to Vancouver city?? just thinking of the kids future clubs, uni's etc.. just wondering if there is more choice nearer to Vancouver??
We live 5 miles from Hull in quite a small town. We just want better opportunities for our kids when they leave school and a more laid back lifestyle. My hubbys a gas/plumbing engineer so obviously we have to go where the work will be too.

When do you emigrate ?? and how long has the process taken you?? What Visa are you going on??
We were hoping to go on the temp work visa and then apply for permanent residency when we are there - obviously if we like it???? So many decisions !!!
maria

4d32ftw

Post by 4d32ftw » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:15 pm

Kamloops or kelowna are approx a 4 hr drive to vancouver, which in canadian terms is just round the corner lol.

Kamloops has an excellent univeristy the TRU (thompson rivers university).

if you want lots of nightlife and shops etc.. then your better being in one of the smaller cities near vancouver or in one of vancouvers suburbs. but i love it in Kamloops. always plenty to do, people are friendly, weathers great..

we came out on TWP Jan 09 but had already applied for PR and that came though in july 09 :grin

Jazzyg
Location: Liverpool UK - 2010 Kamloops/Vernon or Kelowna or? lol

Post by Jazzyg » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:10 am

will do :grin ust over 4 weeks until we land

Im looking forward to some Cowboy Coffee :beers

Now gotta start looking at schools for the little one(s) got a teen 13 and sons only 8 months so a while for him yet :surprise

We will initially be living in the North Shore with family , a friend of ours little ones go to Brock, not too sure how we stand on placing our daughter in a school of our choice!! mainly because we dont know what part we will buy in yet!!

Gaz "Roll on May 7th" Stuart & co

Jazzyg

Post by Jazzyg » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:18 am

5 fields wrote:Good for you, sounds like you can't wait to get there. We are going out beginning of may for 1 week only - booked the flights then tryed to change them for 2 weeks and couldn't - gutted!! So we have got a lot to see and do in 1 week and we have 3 litle ones 8,5 and 2 so its gonna be busy!! We have initally been looking at Kelowna and then come across Kamloops on the net and liked the look of it. Were just not sure if we want to be closer to Vancouver city?? just thinking of the kids future clubs, uni's etc.. just wondering if there is more choice nearer to Vancouver??
We live 5 miles from Hull in quite a small town. We just want better opportunities for our kids when they leave school and a more laid back lifestyle. My hubbys a gas/plumbing engineer so obviously we have to go where the work will be too.

When do you emigrate ?? and how long has the process taken you?? What Visa are you going on??
We were hoping to go on the temp work visa and then apply for permanent residency when we are there - obviously if we like it???? So many decisions !!!
maria
Hi Maria,

We visited Kamloops in April 2009, we applied for immigration May30th 2009 , we are just on the last few weeks of the process so its taken around 11 months, it would have only taken around 9 months but CHC london decided we didnt have enough points , which stalled the process till i submitted more evidence.

We had our medicals March30th and this is the last stage before getting PR in Passports

Kamloops is indeed a beautiful place and lots to do also all the surrounding areas and great for kids (and us adult type kids)

Gaz

5 fields

Post by 5 fields » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:26 pm

oh thats quite quick then isn't it is that on a PR visa or temp work visa?? my husband is a plumbing and heating engineer and we were just presuming it would be quicker and easier to go down the temp visa route but safer on the PR visa??? Do you know he costs roughly?? i have been looking on the canadian emigration site but am struggling a little we have 3 little one's.
Kamloops sounds great we are coming out in 3 weeks and staying in Merritt as we figured this is between Kelowna and Kamloops and then we can explore both areas we really like the sound of both and obviously need to go where there will be decent work available.
Thanks
Maria

5 fields

Post by 5 fields » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:29 pm

sorry didn't even read your message properly, very tired should be in bed really!!! That is quick then isn't it for PR is that down the skilled worker route or are you getting sponsored by family??

Jazzyg

Post by Jazzyg » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:50 am

5 fields wrote:oh thats quite quick then isn't it is that on a PR visa or temp work visa?? my husband is a plumbing and heating engineer and we were just presuming it would be quicker and easier to go down the temp visa route but safer on the PR visa??? Do you know he costs roughly?? i have been looking on the canadian emigration site but am struggling a little we have 3 little one's.
Kamloops sounds great we are coming out in 3 weeks and staying in Merritt as we figured this is between Kelowna and Kamloops and then we can explore both areas we really like the sound of both and obviously need to go where there will be decent work available.
Thanks
Maria
We applied the Skilled worker PR Route, I know lots of people have gone down the Temp route depending on skill etc

It has cost us around ... hmmm just gonna work it out for you now...
Approx £3,500 thats with our Flights (£1000) so £2500 approx this is doing all the legwork and paperwork yourselves

We passed through Merritt but didnt have time to stay there for any length of time just a quick coffee but like all rural BC is great and is defo a good base for exploring Kamloops and Kelowna

Cheers
Gaz

5 fields

Post by 5 fields » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:58 am

Great thats good to know then i pressumed it was taking 2-3 years from what i had picked up on the expat forum. We would go down the skilled worker route so hopefully it wouldn't take to long. I think that is a little safer than the temporary visa just incase you loose your job etc.. Well we will see what we think in 2 weeks when we go can't wait !! Just hope this Volcano stops errupting as were flying from Gatwick !!
Thanks Maria

sassy

Post by sassy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:18 pm

5 fields wrote:Kamloops sounds great we are coming out in 3 weeks and staying in Merritt as we figured this is between Kelowna and Kamloops and then we can explore both areas we really like the sound of both
Merritt is between both cities but you'll be travelling through the mountains with pretty much nothing there for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours to reach Kelowna and I think roughly the same for Kamloops. If that's okay with you good just so you are aware of it.

trudik

Post by trudik » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:03 am

5 fields wrote:
Kamloops sounds great we are coming out in 3 weeks and staying in Merritt as we figured this is between Kelowna and Kamloops and then we can explore both areas we really like the sound of both.

Another option would be to stay in Vernon, also between Kamloops and Kelowna, about an hour for both cities.