Teaching in Kamloops

Canada's Tournament Capital
Riana

Teaching in Kamloops

Post by Riana » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:13 pm

My family and I have been in Canada for 3 years. We live in the North, and the temperature is really extreme. Forty below is just not fun any more..... My husband and I are both teachers, (23 years of experience - I was Vice-Principal for 9 years before we came to Canada) and we are desperate to relocate to Kamloops/Kelowna. Our only problem is that we cannot move without at least 1 job between the 2 of us.

My son is one of Canada's best swimmers in his age group. We therefore have to be in a town with good facilities.

Can anyone give us advice/help as to how we can get teaching jobs.

Which place is best? Kamloops vs Kelowna?

Jannadem

Re: Teaching in Kamloops

Post by Jannadem » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:29 pm

It is not as very as easy to find jobs in Kamloops as in AB.

Check this: http://www.wowjobs.ca/BrowseResults.asp ... oops%2C+BC

Riana

Post by Riana » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks Jannadem

Moops

Post by Moops » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:50 pm

Not having lived in Kamloops, I really can't tell you much about what it's like for residents. I do recall that many years ago, the smell of the pulp mill could be a bit of an assault on the nostrils (it may not be an issue anymore). There has been a bit of discontent over a proposed mine south of the Aberdeen neighbourhood.

Kamloops seems to be where things meet ... The North & South Thompson Rivers meet in Kamloops, as do two major Canadian railway lines, as well as 5 highways (two being the #1 Trans Canada & the Coquihalla). Actually, Kamloops means "where the rivers meet" in one of the First Nations' languages.

It's probably a lack of navigational ability on my part, but we couldn't locate where the shopping centres were! From what I've read, Kamloops has pretty much everything you'd need for day-to-day life. There is also a small airport, a university, sports facilities, popular ski resort, parks and a number of great fishing lakes within close proximity.

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!