Retiring in Osoyoos....

Home of Canada's only Desert
ccstormy

Retiring in Osoyoos....

Post by ccstormy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:17 am

Hi There,
My husband suffers greatly from R.Arthritis to 85% of his body. He has not worked for over 20 years and now the time has come for me to think of retiring. We cannot afford a huge priced condo or house......but would like to know a little about the costs to retire in Osyoos as it is a very dry area with little humidity from what I gather. We are from Manitoba where it is very cold very damp and lots of humidty year round. I am still working but we are getting to the point where we would like to start thinking of possibly picking up our roots and hopefully find something in this lovely community.
What are the rentals for apartments going for? Do you have such a program as a "Life Lease" ?
Is there a Medical Centre available. Is there extra medical insurance needed in the province? It is important to be able to transfer your medical records to a centre close .......our main reason would be for my husband, I am thinking the weather would be an immense improvement compared to where we are right now. Any information would be helpful.
Thanks!!
Last edited by Moops on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Duplicate account - prior posts moved to this username

SivoxII

Re: Retiring in Osoyoos....

Post by SivoxII » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:41 am

Hi and welcome to the forums ccstrike! :hi

I can possibly answer a couple of your questions, while other members may be able to give you further feedback on other aspects.

Yes indeed, the Okanagan Valley is a very dry area. To give you an idea, we have gone almost 2 months, with around 2-3 days of rain. Even at that, when it does rain, it typically passes through the valley very quickly, so generally doesn't stick around. Osoyoos is clearly very dry and hot compared to the rest of the valley and it's not unusual for temps to touch 40c down there.

Can't provide you with any concrete feedback on rentals or medical advice myself ... but hopefully someone with local experience can come along and help out?

However, the main medical centre I can find is located at the address below:

Osoyoos Medical Centre
7802 Spartan, Osoyoos,
BC V0H 1V0

Sincerely hope this gives you some help and direction.

Kind Regards!

ccstormy

Post by ccstormy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:52 am

Thank you for your info........yes we could easily enjoy the dryness!! We just finished with 2 days of soaking rain and the humidity levels today have been up btw 60-90% as we had fog all morning ......

Any info would be helpful!! I appreciate anything as it will be helpful. I haven't looked into other than Osoyoos as I am not sure about other areas.....i.e. Penticton, or Oliver, or Summerland etc....

:) Regards
Last edited by Moops on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ccstormy

Post by ccstormy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:40 am

I'm seeing the site hasn't been very active. That's too bad. I thought I might get more info here about the area however it's looking like this forum isn't as active as it probably was in years gone by. Well thanks anyway for the one answer. I will have to try somewhere else maybe.
Last edited by Moops on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:36 am

Assuming that you've already searched the obvious classifieds (Kijiji, Osoyoos Daily News, Osoyoos Times, Oliver Daily News, Oliver Chronicle) take a look at local online classifieds. :thumbup
Last edited by Moops on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited content regarding blocked words - please do not use "work arounds"

TristanM

Post by TristanM » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:07 pm

ccstrike wrote:I'm seeing the site hasn't been very active. That's too bad. I thought I might get more info here about the area however it's looking like this forum isn't as active as it probably was in years gone by. Well thanks anyway for the one answer. I will have to try somewhere else maybe.
aha and what did you give to the site?