Garbage Recycling Bill

A Municipality Building a New Future
Nigel123

Garbage Recycling Bill

Post by Nigel123 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:19 pm

Well this made me laugh even though i should be seething at the 100% increase!!!!!!!!!!

Just got our quarterly utility invoice from District of West Kelowna and there has been an increase in the cost for garbage/recycling/yard waste collection from $15.19 to $45.69, that's a huge increase in percentage terms but i guess whats an extra 30 bucks every 3 months.
Anyway in with the invoice was an explanatory letter saying that the increase is "largely due to a new collection contract and new automated collection program" It goes on to explain that the increased fee includes "weekly collection costs, finance costs for the new waste carts, maintenance for the new waste carts, and tipping fees for Glenmore landfill"
To add to this there is also a $1.24 fuel allowance which apparently "goes into an reserve account to be saved for use if needed to offset unforseen or increased fuel cost charges from the collector" It doesn't say if we get this refunded should fuel get cheaper. Lol

So i got to thinking maybe i should have a go at this. My duct cleaning is now going to start at $500 to cover my financing costs and maintenance of the trucks and in readiness for the huge fuel increase that usually happens in the summer i will be adding a further $5.00 for fuel surcharge that may be needed in the future but till then it goes into my bank and earns interest for me. Problem is i wouldn't have any customers left so i couldn't do it but we didn't have a say in whether we had these new bins and the new service it's compulsory so they seem to have us over a barrel.

paul1574

Re: Garbage Recycling Bill

Post by paul1574 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:36 am

would it be cheaper or even feasible that you could load up your own truck and take it to glenmore landfill and dump it yourself ?

then all you pay for is gas and landfill charges ???

of course i bet theres some bylaw against it though

Absurdum ad Infinatum

tracie107

Post by tracie107 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:34 am

I agree with you Nigel, as I too was shocked when I saw the bill.

Mind you, I have taken the liberty whilst paying these high cost of ordering a bigger recycling bin at no extra cost.:thumbup

Also I had another bill from the Water company which just said "GRADE A" $55.00 along with my usual water bill. No explanation as to what it means. Perhaps you can advise me on this one?

Nigel123

Post by Nigel123 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:16 pm

tracie107 wrote:I agree with you Nigel, as I too was shocked when I saw the bill.

Mind you, I have taken the liberty whilst paying these high cost of ordering a bigger recycling bin at no extra cost.:thumbup

Also I had another bill from the Water company which just said "GRADE A" $55.00 along with my usual water bill. No explanation as to what it means. Perhaps you can advise me on this one?

Maybe you get better water up there so pay more, i think we are GRADE B minus. Lol
Seriously though you may be talking about the yearly utility bill which, in my case anyway, has GROUP A watered land within district charged at $51 and then low density residential at $201 but this is one year.
I also have a bigger recycling bin as the standard one was useless and at least it's free. (well i thought it was till i saw the recent price hike) Lol

MarkW

Post by MarkW » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:51 am

I think you are all talking a load of Rubbish ..................... : :)

Bleech

Post by Bleech » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:45 pm

MarkW wrote:I think you are all talking a load of Rubbish ..................... : :)
Yeah but 10 out of 10 for Nige for getting a plug in for his duct business :clap

tony74

Post by tony74 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:27 pm

How far from "Pay as you go" do you think we are here. Did you know, your Wheelie Cart contains a Micro chip?

Nigel123

Post by Nigel123 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:30 pm

tony74 wrote:How far from "Pay as you go" do you think we are here. Did you know, your Wheelie Cart contains a Micro chip?
What? Is someone stalking my bin? Is mine the only one with a chip in? :)