Schools in Westside

A Municipality Building a New Future
LynnUK

Schools in Westside

Post by LynnUK » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:16 pm

Hi all :hi

It seems that you get more property for your money in Westsisde compared to the Mission area. I was just wondering what the schools were like? has anyone got children attending school in Westside around age 10+ up to Uni age? If so how do you rate the schools?
We have been very set on the Upper mission area, is there anything that you can tell me about life on the Westside that might make me swing in that direction?

wobblyknee

Re: Schools in Westside

Post by wobblyknee » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:13 pm

Hi Lynn, I have 2 boys at school on the Westside the 13 year old is at Constable Neil Bruce and we have been really pleased with the school, he settled in very well has made lots of friends and he got all As and Bs in his report card!
The 15 year old is at Mount Boucherie and again we are very pleased with this school, he has made lots of good friends and he is doing subjects that he would have never got the opportunity to do in the UK.

Nigel123

Post by Nigel123 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:41 pm

We had only 1 who attended school and he also went to Mount Boucherie and as Wobblyknees have said it seems like a good school with a good reputation and our son also did fantastically well with his grades.
It was quite difficult for him to settle in as he joined in year 11 and most of the kids already knew one another from the previous year and also from middle school before that. I think his circle of friends here is much smaller than in the UK but he graduated recently with all the pomp and ceremony they do here and wearing the gown and hat so a proud moment indeed and something that is totally normal for secondary school here but only happens in Uni back in UK.

Westside does offer value for money but you have to be here to view as some of the apparent bargains may be for good reason, backing onto Hwy 97, on native land, close to gravel pit etc. Glenrosa offers some good deals and is quite rural in parts but also furthest from Kelowna. Having said that the Upper Mission is not exactly close to downtown.

james_smith99

Post by james_smith99 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:47 pm

we're looking at westside for the same reasons as the OP, as we think we'll get a bit more for our money there. when we were over in the summer we looked at some places in wilden and kettle valley, absolutely beautiful but the state of the pound has knocked that idea on the head. anyway, the info on the schools is much appreciated so i had a look at the Constable Neil Bruce school website - just shows that theres such a thing as too much research....looked at the history page and it tells you what happened to the constable, now i'm not so sure i fancy the westside after all !!

wobblyknee

Post by wobblyknee » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:40 am

My youngest son goes to Constable Neil Bruce school he has been there for 18months now, he has made some really good friends the teachers seem very good. My son is getting very good grades and has settled into Canadian school life very well!
There is nothing bad I can say about the school. We get emails all the time from the teachers letting us know how he is getting on and what grades he is getting.

james_smith99

Post by james_smith99 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:31 pm

Thanks wobblyknee. The schools thing is a nightmare isn't it. Its bad enough trying to find good information over here (england) for local schools. when we're trying to identify an area to live from a distance, when the most important factor is the proximity of a good school, its ten times worse.

now i've got the schools thing sorted out i can get back to the important research stuff: houses, cars and the webcam at big white !!

cheers