Relocating to Kelowna - 6 month rental

Housing Market, Rental Listings, Stats & Advice
Colsgirl

Re: Relocating to Kelowna - 6 month rental

Post by Colsgirl » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:14 pm

8th March 2007 19:43

That would probably rent for about $900 a month (plus bills). I work with someone who has just rented a duplex in Rutland, it is 900 sq feet and that is what he is paying.

I found out something interesting last week, if a landlord gives you notice you are entitled not to pay your last months rent and they still have to give you your damage deposit back. Someone at work has just done this and he showed me the forms - it is compensation for the person renting losing their home.

Betalil

Post by Betalil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:15 pm

8th March 2007 20:09

I found out something interesting last week, if a landlord gives you notice you are entitled not to pay your last months rent and they still have to give you your damage deposit back. Someone at work has just sone this and he showed me the forms - it is compensation for the person renting losing their home.

I would think that that would only be true if the Landlord did not give proper notice to vacate (ie:2 months) provided the landlord is moving into the premises himself or the premises required extensive repairs. For an eviction for cause ie: not abiding by the rental agreement, not paying rent on time etc. This would also not apply. It would also depend on the rental agreement, was a time limit for rent set? ie: 6 months/1year?

I can see that happening only under certain specific circumstances. And not as a blanket ruling. It would only make even fewer people want to take the risks of providing rental accomodation, and alot of the time subsidising the property (mortgage payments, and upkeep costing more than the rent coming in). The Landlord/Tenants act is already heavily sided toward the tenant.

Colsgirl

Post by Colsgirl » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:15 pm

8th March 2007 20:50

No, it is even if the landlord gives two months notice, see page 2 the Compensation for Tennant section
http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/documents/RTB-4.pdf

If the landlord gives the correct notice and they want the tenant to vacate because they want to live in the unit, let family live in the unit, repair it, knock it down or sell it and they give notice, then the tenant does not have to pay the last months rent. If the landlord tries to keep the damage deposit (and no damage has been done) then the tenant can take them to arbitration without incurring any costs themselves.

I was astounded when I was told this. But this is the BC regulations, so rent out a property at your peril. Obviously if you are kicking someone out for good reason then there is a difference - but this is the form for giving the correct notice to a good tenant and as the link shows they DO NOT have to pay the last month's rent.

Betalil

Post by Betalil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:16 pm

8th March 2007 20:59

OMG!!!! That is so unfair!!!!! Landlord gets screwed again!!

Colsgirl

Post by Colsgirl » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:16 pm

8th March 2007 21:01

I should have said, knowing what I know from someone at work who rents (they know every twist, turn and loophole), I would not buy a property to rent out in BC. Things like you can pay your rent up to 9 days late and it is only after the 10th day that the landlord can serve you notice for late payment. He has to serve you 5 of the late payment notices before he can serve an eviction notice. So you can pay your rent 9 days late every month, really annoy your landlord and there is nothing he can do about it because you haven't been 10 days late.

You're not kidding the rules are in favour of the tenant. It seems like the landlords get a really rough deal.

Colsgirl

Post by Colsgirl » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:18 pm

8th March 2007 21:04
OMG!!!! That is so unfair!!!!! Landlord gets screwed again!!
Exactly, that was what we were all saying at work, but the guy who was renting was saying it was fair because he was losing his home. So we said well it isn't your home, you only rent it. If you want it to be permanent, then you should buy. To which he said there are laws preventing landlords from harassing tenants and we know how to use them.

As you can imagine most of us who own home were actually on the landlords side saying that it was disgusting.

Betalil

Post by Betalil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:18 pm

8th March 2007 21:12

Yup!! Unfortunately, it's people like that that give even the good tenants out there a bad name, and makes those of us who have a place that can be rented, very very reluctant to do so. :( This makes me very angry.... As if the world owes them, who gave them entitlement?

Colsgirl

Post by Colsgirl » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:18 pm

8th March 2007 21:16

You're lucky, I have to work with this guy. He thinks everyone owes him and he really resents those of us who own homes (even though we pay mortgages). But he is quite happy to screw someone who has given him and his family a home to live in.

MisplacedCanadian

Post by MisplacedCanadian » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:19 pm

10th March 2007 05:11

Nice guys - lots to think about! My Dad used to own rental properties, but that was in Ontario. He always used to ask for 12 months' worth of post-dated cheques. What would the bank do if they constantly bounced?

I think I have a lot of research to do - on the law.