Native Land - Westside

Housing Market, Rental Listings, Stats & Advice
fwalker007

Native Land - Westside

Post by fwalker007 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:53 pm

23rd July 2007 12:01

Does anyone know which areas over on the westside are native land, and how much of an issue it is???

PIG-WIG

Re: Native Land - Westside

Post by PIG-WIG » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:54 pm

23rd July 2007 13:48

There is a map which shows just how much is native land. As a guide it is the area just after the bridge and then another area in Westbank itself around the Old Okanagan Highway and down to the lake. Most houses are not built on Native land.

There is no real issue with the land, if you live on native land you pay your taxes to the Westbank First Nations Government. One of the issues will be that because most of the big businesses are on or going onto Native land they will not be contributing taxes o the newly formed Westside?? Government. This means that the residents not living on native land are likely to have their taxes increased in the next few years to pay for everything.

If we were allowed to vote we would have gone for joining Kelowna.

Bleech

Post by Bleech » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:54 pm

23rd July 2007 14:08

Not knowing much about the subject I always though that houses on native land were on a lease, is that right?

Betalil

Post by Betalil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:54 pm

23rd July 2007 14:35

When looking a properties for sale, anywhere, be sure you know what you are buying. A property on "native" lands is "leased", where you would pay a fee each year for the priviledge of using that land + you would pay normal property taxes but to the native council, similar to owning a detached condo. Properties purchased on leased land have a lower re-sale value, as most I am sure would prefer to own the land their improvements (house) are on.

Buying on leased land is a way to get the same house for less money or a bigger house for the same money. It really is a personal choice.

But for my money, I'd rather it be mine.

shazr

Post by shazr » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:55 pm

24th July 2007 11:09

Betalil has pretty much hit the nail on the head, but, you also need to be careful with the length of the lease as well, quite often they are rather short and can be very expensive and difficult to renew.

:)

fwalker007

Post by fwalker007 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:55 pm

24th July 2007 19:21

Well in the Uk we would steer well away from Leasehold properties, so am thinking along the same lines here. I don't think as much of over the other side is Native land by the looks of it!!!

Betalil

Post by Betalil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:56 pm

25th July 2007 20:44

Another thing I just found out, when you own property (house) on native land you pay your "taxes" to the band, which means that you don't pay the same type of taxes that others pay, like the part that goes for library services. So you would be refused a library card. Seems a small thing, but................

Brell

Post by Brell » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:56 pm

27th July 2007 05:54

Another thing to consider is WHO actually holds the lease... some are registered with the Federal Government, some are with the Local Band and some are with individual families or persons. The amount of risk is different with each.

Some lenders will not provide financing on certain types of leased land holdings and some will.

The length of time left on the lease could also be a consideration.

The Westside is a very progressive First Nations Area - at least in the urban end . I imagine the risks are less there than say the north end of Westside (in Vernon) where you are dealing with individual band members.

That said.. I know folks who have enjoyed having a cabin on leased land for over 40 years with nothing in writing at all!