Reasonable offer

Housing Market, Rental Listings, Stats & Advice
Brell

Re: Reasonable offer

Post by Brell » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:14 pm

27th July 2007 06:20

Hi - all,

Realtor on deck.. AGGGHHH.. away they run ... screaming!!

Houses sell for one of two reasons.. Price and Motivation - period. The average seller is getting about 97% of their asking price right now and are taking about 70 days from list to final subject removal to sell - BUT that only factors in houses that have SOLD. It does not factor in houses that have been "LISTED"

Betalil's comments are good ones. Especially consider the days on the market, and the recent SOLD comparables. Solds indicate reality - current listings may reflect prices that are not yet "proven"

Ask your realtor what you have to lose by "offending" the seller? So they do not come back with a counter... then you have learned that they are quite serious about their price - knowledge is a good thing. Who knows - maybe they found their "dream home" today and are suddenly more motivated?

Your Realtor works for YOU - not the Seller - unless they have dual agency - in which case - they still work for YOU.

Best of Luck. The right house is out there for you.

Colsgirl

Post by Colsgirl » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:14 pm

31st July 2007 18:46

I'm sorry but I don't trust realtors who work for the buyer and the seller. A lawyer wouldn't be allowed to do this so I don't see how a realtor is legally allowed to.

When they are pocketing the buyer and the seller commission, they want the deal done. I don't think that in all fareness they can get the best price for the seller who may be paying around $20k - $30k in fees when at the same time they are trying to get the best deal for the buyer.

If I was paying somone a lot of money to sell my house then I would want them working for me and me alone. When I am going to be paying that sort of money I expect them to try and squeeze every penny out of the buyer.

Realtors here get a lot of money (probably why there are so many). I think the least you can expect is for them to be working exclusively on our side of the deal.

Brell

Post by Brell » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:15 pm

1st August 2007 07:40

It is very difficult to work for both the buyer and the seller - that is true - and in fact can only be undertaken with the approval and consent of both parties. ( It is called Limited Dual Agency)

The challenges in that situation are one reason I choose not to represent both parties in a deal - but that is just me - I can't speak for the throngs of realtors out there! lol.

I would certainly want someone working only on my behalf if I am buying or selling.