Relocating to Kelowna - 6 month rental

Housing Market, Rental Listings, Stats & Advice
SivoxII

Relocating to Kelowna - 6 month rental

Post by SivoxII » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:10 pm

14th January 2007 03:57

MisplacedCanadian -
Hi there -

We're relocating to Kelowna from England and we're looking for a six-month rental, preferably a house within easy distance of the airport. We would buy, but my husband is starting helicopter training and we don't yet know where he'll be placed, but we'll be in Kelowna for at least six months.

The difficulty is that we have a dog. Dave is an elderly Dalmatian, he's no trouble and has been with us for a long time - I just can't leave him behind. It seems landlords in Kelowna aren't keen on dogs.

I'm wondering if there are agencies out there that help people who are relocating to find a new home and help with the arrangements around that? I'm looking online, but everythings says 'no pets'.

Thanks!

exleye

Re: Relocating to Kelowna - 6 month rental

Post by exleye » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:11 pm

14th January 2007 07:57

Hello out there,

There are many Property Management Companies in Kelowna who can help. They're in the business of taking care of rental properties for their clients. They screen potential tenants, collect rents, and make sure the properties are being property maintained. One is "Associated Property Management" 250-712-0025.

If I can help further, please let me know.

LongInt

Post by LongInt » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:11 pm

14th January 2007 22:41

Hi, Misplaced.

Is it the Kelowna International Airport that you're wanting easy access to, or is it Wildcat Helicopters?

The airport (and Okanagan Mountain Helicopters) is on Hwy 97 at the northern end of Kelowna (Kelowna is on the east side of Okanagan Lake) and Wildcat Helicopters is on the west side of the lake between Kelowna and Westbank.

MisplacedCanadian

Post by MisplacedCanadian » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:11 pm

15th January 2007 13:12

Hi there,

Thanks to both exleye and LongInt for your replys! I'll call Associated Property.

Regarding the airport, it's the International airport and Okanagan Mountain Helicopters is the place - I've met Johannes (John) and he seems a great guy. Not sure what he made of me as my roadtrip buddy was my 77 year old Mother who was dying to see Kelowna! (The things we do for family!)

We're planning a trip over in April now to catch up with him (my last time there was in September) and also look at properties, etc. Dave the Wonder Dog has simple needs (large garden; neighbours with rawhide...) so I'm sure we'll find something.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how it goes.

fwalker007

Post by fwalker007 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:12 pm

16th January 2007 13:46

Just wondered, is it easy enough to rent properties if you haven't got any references? Or is it a nightmare? Ideally we would like to have something sorted before we get over there but most adverts etc state you need to have a reference.

MisplacedCanadian

Post by MisplacedCanadian » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:12 pm

27th February 2007 10:10

Just as a follow up to this thread, I've spoken with two rental agencies and two real estate agencies who have let me know there's NO WAY we'll be able to rent with the Wonder Dog.

With the rental market as tight as it is, landlords can pick and choose their tenants and Dave won't be high on their list. (Only because they've not met him, I'm sure.)

I'm sure the rest of you aren't crazy enough to try to re-locate with your dog, and rent, but just thought I'd let you know. We're going to have to buy.

MisplacedCanadian

Post by MisplacedCanadian » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:13 pm

27th February 2007 10:11

Actually...I see a market niche here. Perhaps we should buy two properties, and rent one of them out...or a four-plex...hmm...

Betalil

Post by Betalil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:13 pm

5th March 2007 11:30

Have you tried: http://www.homefinders.ca/

They are a fee for service rental agency, they advertise that they have pet friendly rentals. I've not used them, but when you are trying to rent with a pet (and a big one too - some pet friendly places only accept pets with a max weight of 20lbs) they may be the way to go.

Having to put your dog in a kennel until you can find a place to buy would be hard on the dog ( and you). I don't know of any hotels/motels that take pets, there are a few b&b's that allow them but not many.

MisplacedCanadian

Post by MisplacedCanadian » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:14 pm

5th March 2007 22:47

Hi Betalil,

Thanks for that. I have had experience of Homefinders in Ottawa back in the 1980s. My experience was that they're a rip off - they charge a fee to show you their listings, but then it's just like looking in the newspaper; they didn't actually DO anything for you. They may have changed.

No worries - I would never put this puppy in a kennel I didn't know. Captain Slog and I have been looking at other options. We're just going to have to buy. We had wanted to rent first since he's starting a training course and we don't know where we'll eventually be living.

Current thought is to purchase a duplex, live in one side and rent the other out as a 'mortgage helper' until he's earning, and then find where we eventually want to settle and rent out both sides. I still need to do the math but so far it looks like a good option - as long as we want to be landlords, which will be a new thing for us, so we'll have to find out our legal rights and obligations for that as well.

Betalil

Post by Betalil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:14 pm

5th March 2007 23:17

Well, it was a thought anyway. There are a few duplexes for sale right now I believe, in Rutland and South Kelowna. It is difficult to find both sides for sale...but possible for sure. Ones I've noticed tend to be around 450k for both sides. Don't know the condition though. One of my care-givers has just purchased one side of a duplex.... the other side is for sale... I believe it's listed in the low to mid 200k.. It's small - about 900sf but does have a back yard and carport..... I think it's on Prior Rd. South Rutland.