Building a home in the Okanagan

Housing Market, Rental Listings, Stats & Advice
Dave

Building a home in the Okanagan

Post by Dave » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:44 pm

25th November 2007 08:48

My wife and I are looking to buy a lot in the Naramata area (about 1/2 acre) and work with a builder to build our home there. Does anyone have any advice on builders? Have heard about Rivendell and Okanagan Timber Frame Builders but would like opinions about them and any other builders you could recommend in the area. We're currently living in the UK but have visited the area and I'm Canadian (but from out east) My partner is English. Is this a viable/good idea or are we setting ourselves up for alot of grief? We recognise we have to spend ~$400K on the lot and at least $600K on building/decking/pool/landscaping etc.

Given the costs involved; any informed opinions would be most welcome!

Many Thanks,

Dave

einselec

Re: Building a home in the Okanagan

Post by einselec » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:45 pm

25th November 2007 12:27

Hi there

I am still on my way to the Okanagan and would not be your best bet as to the best advise, but I am a Construction Electrician and also a registered builder. I have done quite a lot of house hunting in the area and it seems that there are quite nice properties for the price that you are willing to pay.

My advice to you is this: Do not mention to contractors what you are willing to spend because then you will end up paying that plus maybe a little more than that. Give them an idea of what you want and see with what price they come back to you.

Hope you manage to find your dream home or build it if you go that way.

Moops

Post by Moops » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:45 pm

28th November 2007 10:42

I can't give you any feedback, but will ask a couple people that have had homes built in recent years! Once I find out, I'll message you with the info.

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:45 pm

29th November 2007 08:04

Many thanks for the input - I realise it's kind of a specialized question but any help would be much appreciated and Moops - if you do make contact please let me know what they have to say! The good the bad AND the ugly!! And everyone have a merry Christmas! We hope to spend it next year in the South Okanagan (just submitted family sponsorship application for my Partner's PR) - God what a process! And I thought the Brits loved their bureaucracy! Getting in here was nothing compared to our PR process - I think you should get it approved simply for being able to hang in there!!

Best wishes to all,

Dave