Lack of rental properties in BC and kelowna!

Housing Market, Rental Listings, Stats & Advice
aussie-girl

Lack of rental properties in BC and kelowna!

Post by aussie-girl » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:47 pm

14th December 2007 22:22

I heard an article on the local radio here on the west coast.a couple of days ago.about the lack of rental properties in Canada...with BC coming out with the least percentage of rentals available. then they made mention that Kelowna came up with zero percent!

now of course i know this all depends on when the stats were taken etc. however i do know..when we were moving from kelowna to the island, we had problems with finding a rental property here so hence we decided to buy much sooner than we would have liked to.

i guess tho..that for anyone wanting to perhaps go into real estate and developmental properties..now is a good time...a nice tidy profit could be made perhaps.

LongInt

Re: Lack of rental properties in BC and kelowna!

Post by LongInt » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:48 pm

14th December 2007 22:44

Yes, it was reported on CBC Radio One a few days ago that BC has the lowest rental availability in Canada, at 1%. Kelowna is the lowest city in Canada, at 0%.

aussie-girl

Post by aussie-girl » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:48 pm

15th December 2007 06:17

yep that is what isaid...zero percent...and yes! that is the radio station i heard it on too.

i love that station. it is independant and seems to give * the real deal* if you know what i mean. i listen to it all the time. i have heard them broadcast from kelowna and other places aswell. i like that keeps you well informed. isn't so much of a news station..but more of a discussing topics of current affairs in Canada etc. and they get real everyday people calling in and emailing. and it isn't a fluffed up talk back show either.

:)

LongInt

Post by LongInt » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:49 pm

15th December 2007 09:37

Well, it's not really a local station, aussie-girl. CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company) is owned by the Government of Canada, though it has been set up as a Crown Corporation.

You can listen to Radio One (and Radio Two, though Radio Three is only available on Sirius Satellite) on-line here: http://www.cbc.ca/listen/index.html# . From this page, you can choose from 31 broadcast locations. Most of Radio One is broadcast nation-wide but some programs are tailored for local areas.

For information regarding CBC radio and television, here is CBC's home page: http://www.cbc.ca/

LongInt

Post by LongInt » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:49 pm

15th December 2007 09:41

Also, here's their Video on Demand (not just what's being broadcast at the moment): http://www.cbc.ca/video/ . And their Podcast page: http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/

aussie-girl

Post by aussie-girl » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:50 pm

15th December 2007 10:41

yep i understand.....i guess what i meant is....they do broadcast and air shows from the local regions.

aussie-girl

Post by aussie-girl » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:50 pm

15th December 2007 10:44

ok well for some reason i can't edit my last post....i clicked on submit prematurely

as i say..i do understand..and dont' want to get too pendantic about the station...as my intent with the thread was higlighting the lack of rentals in BC. which may be handy for people moving to the area to be aware of so they can realy pursue accomodation etc...instead of thinking there is an abundance of it around.
like i did when moving to van/island.

LongInt

Post by LongInt » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:51 pm

15th December 2007 10:48

My apologies. I didn't mean to derail, just offer some information.

Back to rentals . . .

proto

Post by proto » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:51 pm

15th December 2007 21:32

I heard on the radio a few weeks ago that rental rates of $8000/month for a four bed house have been asked in Whistler. Different area I know, and there is a significant seasonal effect in that location, but I really did wonder how the staff up there can afford to live. Or perhaps that should be how many people they have to share with!

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein

Moops

Post by Moops » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:52 pm

16th December 2007 19:32

I've recently read a few articles too concerning the 0 percent rental rate. I recall Kelowna having a 0 rate years ago, but the cost of rentals was not as steep as it is now! From what I understand, the 0 percent is in relation to apartments or condos, but other rates aren't fairing much better. The effects of such a tight rental market... rents that are exorbitantly high and landlords that can be as choosy as they please.

I don't know if any of the surrounding cities are any better off for rental rates. Does anyone know?

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!