Building question?

Housing Market, Rental Listings, Stats & Advice
stewart&debbie

Building question?

Post by stewart&debbie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:56 pm

5th January 2008 14:23

Further to a previous post of mine. Has anyone on the site had a new home built? We are going to have one built in Kettle Valley by Rykon. We are now at the stage of deciding whether to go with a 'fixed' price build or a 'project managed' build.

Has anyone any opinions on these two options?
Pro's and Con's of both, especially if not in the country!

We are coming over in February to finalise the build, then not coming back until it is completed.

Thanks in advance.
Stewart

Betalil

Re: Building question?

Post by Betalil » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:56 pm

5th January 2008 19:15

We have built a few homes over the years, contracting/project managing for ourselves and doing alot of our own work.

This is a really tough question because I personally would not go there at all. Being absentee makes it extremely difficult to ensure quality of workmanship, that the code is being adhered to etc. The Canada building code is the "Minimum" required. And I would not buy a house that is built to minimum standard.

We can make a recommendation for a very good structural engineer to do independent inspections. He is very good at his job and fair in his pricing too. PM me for more info.

Without alot more information we really can't put forth an informed opinion. As I said PM me, we'd be happy to offer our full opinions. (you may not want to hear the whole thought though LOL)

Cheers, Betalil