Going back to school?!

Centres, Agencies, Contacts and Experiences
Nia

Going back to school?!

Post by Nia » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:30 pm

I wondered if anyone out here has gone back to school after having had a career. I'm seriously thinking of going back to school....completley unrelated to what i was doing before. Has anyone gone through this??

MisplacedCanadian

Re: Going back to school?!

Post by MisplacedCanadian » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:30 pm

Yes, I certainly have. It was a great experience, and I was MUCH more focussed on the outcome, as I was paying for it! I've been back to continue my education and it's been the best investment I've ever made and has given me a job and a lifestyle I enjoy.

Captain Slog - my OH - has done it as well. He was a mild-mannered IT Manager and computer programmer in the UK. When we moved here he took six months to go back to school and now he's a commercial helicopter pilot (and computer programmer).

If you can swing it - going back to school - and you have a plan and know what you want to do - it can be a terrific experience.

Nia

Post by Nia » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:38 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience on going back to school! I think you are right, i'm a lot more focused now when thinking about it because i look at the outcome differently. I'm seeing it as a very independent move for my very own future....where as before...it was more well let's see where school is taking us.
I'm not sure if i can financially easily make the jump in going back to school full time for 4 years, but i think i would jump at it if i could make t work right now! :) >>it is good to hear that you guys have gone through something similar and that it was something very positive!!! :) i think i'll have osme serious planning and thinkig to do over the next few months!

proto

Post by proto » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Yes, twice, although neither time was here in Canada. On the first occasion I worked full-time and studied part-time. That was hard going. The second time round I studied full-time and didn't do other paid work for more than a few hours during the whole of the four years. I was lucky because Hubs was working and I got funding for my study that covered fees and a living allowance.

I had a great time going back to school. I have found it opened my eyes to many opportunities and possibilities so it was a time of great personal growth as well as the book-learnin'. I wouldn't be where I am now without those experiences.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein

Nia

Post by Nia » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:15 pm

Thank you guys for your replies! it is good to hear good feedback about returning to school! :)
I'm not quite certain yet when i can take the plunge but i am hoping in the next year i have a plan in place!! Ill keep you posted...any thoughts and advice are more than welcome!! :)

SivoxII

Post by SivoxII » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:27 pm

School was bad enough first time around, so not sure I'd be up for a return visit (even if you can have a beer after class) :rotfl

Nia

Post by Nia » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:35 pm

hehheeh yeah, the word school really does produce those shivers doens't it?? LOL
:) I'm just glad that i'm now interested in the different fields that i'm looking at...man i only wish i knew where i wanted to go a few years ago..i'd be done now!! LOL heheheh ohhhh welll...still plotting and planning at the moment... but ...hmmm yeah...it's still on the horizon! :)