Emigrating from UK to area

Centres, Agencies, Contacts and Experiences
bubbles

Emigrating from UK to area

Post by bubbles » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:24 pm

New to this, but have been reading up! I am Canadian but have lived and grown up in the UK for 33 years now I have 2 girls (aged 9 & 10 - both with Canadian Citizenship) and a husband. Have finally got him to agree to move to Canada to somewhere in the Okanagan area - due to his love of Motor Boats/Lakes/Watersports. He is really concerned (obviously as main earner) re the employment situation in this area - he is CIOB registered (Chartered Institute of Builders) member with all relevant degrees/experience in Construction Management. Working currently as a Contracts Manager for a large UK firm, and previously for large international companies such as BALFOUR BEATTY on the construction side. Are there any jobs within this field in this area?????? It seems (looking on the internet) as though all the main large companies work out of Vancover or Calgary. Has anyone got any idea/websites/companies that we should be aiming at? We are hoping to relocate sooner rather than later, with a possible recce before hand between Calgary area and the Okanagan area to finally make up our minds......our hearts say Okanagan but is the work only in Calgary or Vancover?

4d32ftw

Re: Emigrating from UK to area

Post by 4d32ftw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:02 pm

there is def work everywhere, new home builds have been pretty low this year, but are expected to grow again.

around where we live most construction is done by smaller building firms, we dont really get many massive construction firms that work everywhere on residential sites like the UK has, i'd imagine that most of the okanagan is similar.

Moops

Post by Moops » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:45 pm

:hi bubbles! Glad you took the plunge and joined us in some conversation. :thumbup

I'm not familiar with the industry, but the following are larger companies based in the Kelowna area or have offices here:

Emil Anderson Construction
Greyback Construction
Ledcor Construction Limited
PCL Construction

I looked at the PCL Construction website and noticed that they have 2 listings under the careers section. I have no idea if this would be applicable, but will post it for you anyway...

http://www.pcl.com/Careers/Pages/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Moops on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: broken link removed & direct link to career section of PCL entered

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

bubbles

Post by bubbles » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 am

HI Moops, thanks for that will look into it cheers Bubbles.

Inutley

Post by Inutley » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi,

Please contact me regarding possible construction opportunities in kelowna - thanks

Ian

bubbles

Post by bubbles » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:50 pm

We are definitely relocating to Kelowna! Thanks for every-bodies help on Access Okanagan re: employment - it worked!

Moops

Post by Moops » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Congratulations, bubbles!! :clap :toast

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:56 am

Great news :thumbup :grin