Teaching in Kelowna

Centres, Agencies, Contacts and Experiences
Riana

Teaching in Kelowna

Post by Riana » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 pm

My family and I have been in Canada for 3 years. We live in the North, and the temperature is really extreme. Forty below is just not fun any more..... My husband and I are both teachers, (23 years of experience - I was Vice-Principal for 9 years before we came to Canada) and we are desperate to relocate to Kelowna. Our only problem is that we cannot move without at least 1 job between the 2 of us.

My son is one of Canada's best swimmers in his age group. We therefore have to be in a place with good facilities.

Can anyone give us advice/help as to how we can get teaching jobs in Kelowna?

Moops

Re: Teaching in Kelowna

Post by Moops » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi Riana & Welcome to A-OK! :hi

I previously came across this listing and you may find it helpful too. It lists all the schools, both government and private, in the Kelowna area. I think it will also list some in neighbouring cities ...

http://www.canpages.ca/list.jsp?na=scho ... -119.45822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Congrats to your son on his achievement! Penticton built a new aquatic facility in the last year or two ... I'm not sure of what Vernon has to offer. H20 in Kelowna would probably have everything he might need. I think the YMCA/YWCA has decent facilities too, although not as new.

Do you mind me being a nosey parker & asking where you relocated from? I've seen breathtaking photos of the north, however, I am the first to admit that I'm an absolute "woz" when it comes to the cold! :Xchatter I don't think I've ever seen -30, well alone -40!

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

Riana

Post by Riana » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:08 pm

Hi Moops
Thanks for your response. We live in the Yukon, and although it is beautiful, it is COLD! Coldest day last year was minus 49 with a wind factor of minus 52 - not fun... We are desperate to get out of here, we are just not used to these kind of temperatures, but our problem is that we cannot move if we do not have jobs on the other side.

Someone mentioned that Kamloops is a better place than Kelowna, cheaper housing, less traffic, less drugs etc. I have never been to Kamloops - do you have any advice?

Moops

Post by Moops » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:26 pm

COLD being an understatement!! I guess that's where the term "freezing your butt off" is applicable... when bits of you starting dropping off. :grin Does anyone really get accustomed to it?? :eek

Agreed, jobs do tend to make all the difference in the final decision. In all honesty, I don't know Kamloops well at all anymore and can't give you an informed answer. They are both cities that have their merits and downfalls. I've heard passionately supported comments from residents in both cities & have probably read similar comments to what you have. Without knowing Kamloops more, I really can't make the comparison (other than generalities). Not exactly helpful ... sorry.

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

Riana

Post by Riana » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks Moops

Yes, it is interesting/amazing to see that many people do enjoy the COLD!