Plumbing info please

Centres, Agencies, Contacts and Experiences
gibbos1

Plumbing info please

Post by gibbos1 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:51 pm

18th March 2007 05:49

Hi all,
just joined this forum and looks great.

We are in the process of emigrating to Canada and in need of some plumbing job information please.

I have passed 2 year city & guilds course in plumbing. I am not in the trade at the moment, but trying to find a employer over here and then leave my present job at LandRover Vehicles.

Are the any jobs over there with my experience (about 12 months part time/weekends) with pass in 2 year certificate or any chance to get on the appreticeship scheme? I am 41, married with two children.

Just getting some basic information and researching possiblilities.
Many thanks,
gibbos1

SivoxII

Re: Plumbing info please

Post by SivoxII » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:52 pm

18th March 2007 18:04

Sorry if I've overlooked the details above, but which part of Canada are you considering moving to? (help narrow the search on your query)

Betalil

Post by Betalil » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:52 pm

18th March 2007 23:18

Hi Gibbos1, welcome to the forum.

Yes please, narrow down on the area, Canada is a big place!! LOL..

We here are mostly focused on British Columbia, and particularly on the Okanagan Valley.

Here is a link to BCIT's (British Columbia Institute of Technology) page for trades and apprentices, there is alot of information there regarding education, requirements for certification etc.

http://www.bcit.ca/path/trades/

For employment I think that you would have to find plumbing companies and contact them directly to discover what their requirements/policies would be regarding apprentices. What type of plumbing each company does, some companies focus on commercial and some on residential and some on both (the Canada plumbing code varies between the two disciplines). Apprentices make considerably less than a full Journeyman, so affordability in whatever area you are looking at could be an issue, particularly if you are meaning to fully support your family. Your wife should probably be working on her work visa too.

Anyway, this is a start of information for you, hope it helps.

LongInt

Post by LongInt » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:53 pm

19th March 2007 22:00

If you want to contact plumbing companies directly, here's 411.ca's return on plumbing in Kelowna: http://fb.411.ca/index.php?act=sear...&cid=1610111127