Further Education or Experience??

Centres, Agencies, Contacts and Experiences
MrC

Further Education or Experience??

Post by MrC » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:19 pm

14th July 2007 08:56

Hello all, I am looking to enter BC under the PNP scheme, have 10 years IT experience (Technical / Systems Analyst roles) and industry certifications, but no further education on my CV.

Any advice or thoughts as to what weight is given to further education, diplomas, degrees etc in terms of finding employment would be appreciated. I am thinking of studying a couple of Open University courses to obtain a diploma to add further strength to my CV and of course would like to weigh up cost and time with the benefits it could reap.
many thanks
Paul

fwalker007

Re: Further Education or Experience??

Post by fwalker007 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:20 pm

14th July 2007 10:08

Hello!!

My understaning of PNP is that they are looking for skills and experience above anything else, though I don't think it would hurt to get further qualifications as it may mean you could negotiate a higher salary??? Its prob worth contacting a few prospective employers and asking them. When you come over, go the the visitor info centre and as them for a list of recruitment agencies/IT companies and see what they have. Then you cold contact them and ask.

proto

Post by proto » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:20 pm

14th July 2007 11:03

If you can get in with a job here, it could be worth doing further courses here rather than your "home" country to get some local qualifications. Sorry, I don't know that sector so can't help with any detail.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein

MrC

Post by MrC » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:20 pm

14th July 2007 12:27

Thanks for the replies guys. Proto, courses in Canada is a good idea, no problem then about qualifications being recognised etc!

Its going to be a while before we can come over so I didnt want to sit on my laurels and wait, good to be pro-active. I can continue with industry qualifications (microsoft etc...) in the meantime. Congrats by the way on landing your job, i read your post in the general chat area, good luck with it.

woody

Post by woody » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:21 pm

15th July 2007 21:35

Hi Mr C,
I've just arrived here with around 10 years IT experience and I've also been studying for an MSc with Liverpool University (all done online and there were several Canadians on the course). The course was good and taught me alot - hard work and expensive though. Some people here have said to me that Canadian employers like their employees to have the relevant qualifications but others have said it's experience they want - so who knows! I think qualifications will help you get your foot in the door, but you may well be able get a job without. You could have a look a UBC Okanagan, which has a campus in Kelowna to see if they offer any relevant courses.
I get the impression that the IT job market here in Kelowna is as hot as it has ever been. I had 3 interviews the week before last and have 2 2nd interviews this week - hopefully should have a job pretty soon. Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Cheers

Woody