Bringing Back the Milkman!

Canada's Tournament Capital
Moops

Bringing Back the Milkman!

Post by Moops » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:35 pm

As a child growing up in the Okanagan, I remember our family getting our milk delivered to our door. It's one of those things that you think is well & truly in the past ... but sometimes a good thing is reinvented!

Kamloops residents can experience that retro feeling with a family run business called Kamloops Dairy Delivery. I can see it being a welcome service for seniors and families with children.

**Broken link removed - Kamloops This Week newspaper removed article**

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!

RhB_HJ

Re: Bringing Back the Milkman!

Post by RhB_HJ » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:58 pm

Pretty good, but far removed from the days of yore!

My dad was a milkman i.e. my parents ran one of those combo groceries/dairy stores. Way back then (60+ years ago) my dad was still delivering milk using a push cart, the milk was in one of the large milk cans (40 liters) and was laddled out in 1/2 liter or 1 liter measures. Refrigeration on the tour? Nope! Along for the ride was butter (table and cooking) in 100gr and 200gr packaged blocks, also table cream.
I also had the "pleasure" of helping on the tours, not to mention re-stocking the grocery shelves moving 110Lbs, sacks of potatoes and delivering orders. In a cane handbasket. Back then I had never heard the expression "Going to hell in a handbasket", but trust me, I know exactly where that one comes from.
:wink :)

My dad was very disappointed when I decided to make an apprenticeship in a tool and die shop.

BTW at a recent surplus book sale my equal half discovered a book chronicling the great moments of the 20th century from the Swiss perspective. Oh dear. what a reminder some of that stuff is!

Moops

Re: Bringing Back the Milkman!

Post by Moops » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:21 am

Thanks for sharing your memories of days gone by. I'm sure the modern day milk run is far different from yesteryear ... and judging from after what you've described, thankfully!!

2024 … still here adding info to benefit newcomers!